baaaaadddd carb problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

baaaaadddd carb problem

ya i am rebuilding the carbs on this 550 l my cousin just bought it ran fine all fall. then went to hell. it appears like the carbs have been apart before the first one went great just awsome. the second one when i shook it had a rattle to it when i took the bowl off one of the ears that the float pin goes through is broke off i couldnt believe it.
    i know it cant be welded and i dont think i can braze it either not sure though. what i need to know is there any way i can fix it. it looks like whoever done it tried to use some sort of adhesive like jb weld or something cause the bowl is full of some sort of nasty jell like crap. any suggestions or am i stuck getting new carbs???

OUCH...i dunno. If no one here suggests away to fix it you could always look for ONE carb...on ebay...shouldnt be too hatefull...but even a whole used rack wouldnt be to bad either...I just let a set go in good shape (bigger than you'd need) to another member here for 75 bucks...

Comment

Might not be so baaaadddd afterall.

I have the same problem with one of my carbs but the float pin is still so solid and stable within only the one 'tower' that I'm not concerned about it. I read a couple weeks ago here that someone fixed this problem with JB Weld as it is supposedly resistant to gas.

I'm watching this thread...

AG GL

Comment

Originally posted by AG GL View Post
        Might not be so baaaadddd afterall.

I have the same problem with one of my carbs but the float pin is still so solid and stable within only the one 'tower' that I'm not concerned about it. I read a couple weeks ago here that someone fixed this problem with JB Weld as it is supposedly resistant to gas.

I'm watching this thread...

AG GL
        yeah, but one side of your float may rise higher..therefore allowing more gas into your bowl.....JB weld may fix it AGAIN...but its RESISTANT to gas...not impervious...

Comment

You can send the carb body to www.motorcyclecarbs.com
          & have it repaired

Comment

jbweld it or new carbs from ebay
            1980 Gs550e....Not stock... :)

Comment

Originally posted by brveagle View Post
              jbweld it or new carbs from ebay
              Ditto..........................
              1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
              1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Working...
              X