Help splitting crankcase needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help splitting crankcase needed

I am ready to split the crankcases on my 1982 550m and would like to know how many bolts should have come out particularly the top case.

On the top case I took one bolt (m6) out near the oil pressure thingy and a nut of a stud next to the drive shaft (see attached pic) are there any more I have missed on the top?

On the bottom case I have taken out 29 bolts altogether m8 & m6

If I have got them all out anyone know the safest way to seperate the two cases experienced hands required.

To split, I tapped mine around the edges, then hit it firmly a few times at the front. Came right apart. It helps to put it on the bench so it's upside down and pull off the bottom case first.

Clean/paint the bottom case, then transfer the internals as necessary from the top to the bottom until your ready to put the bolts back in.
    1978 GS 1000 (since new)
    1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
    1978 GS 1000 (parts)
    1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
    1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
    1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
    2007 DRz 400S
    1999 ATK 490ES
    1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Have you removed the starter motor? There are two bolts under it. To split the cases I used a broad bladed (4") paint scraper, gently worked it into the joints all the way around; this also assured me all the bolts were out, then I slowly pried the cases apart with the scraper so theforce was spread out.

Dink

Comment

Thanks for the replies guys,

I have looked on one of the parts fische and looks like that is all there is in the top case. I,ll go and give it a Knock with a piece of wood and hammer.Not going to resort to the paint scraper method just yet but you never know.

Comment

Take lots and lots of pics when you take it apart. I did my engine not long ago but took a month to get the needed parts. When it was time to put things back together the pics came in handy as I forgot where a lot of parts went.

Comment

Done it

Well split the cases without hammering or prying to see how take a look at the pics. Hope this is a really top tip and not just something an idiot would do. I bow to you to judge my actions.\\/

Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!

been using my digital camera all the way through so hopefully even my goldfishlike memory should be ok come reassembly. Though i am sure i will be asking lots of questions come the time.

Now why did i split the cases?

Comment

Working...
            X