Dumb Question?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dumb Question?

Is a stator what i would call a coil in Ireland?
    Eric

nops coils are under your tank...two of them...they are what fires the plugs...Stator is part of your charging system...THAT is under the engine cover on the (if your sitting on it) left side of your bike (The big round cover) It does however look like a coil of wire...lol

Comment

Thanks cafe kid

Thanks for the reply. Just showing my lack of knowledge for all the world to see!!!!!!!!!!!lol

Comment

No worries. Most all of us have done the same at some point.

Comment

I suppose we would call a stator an alternator. I think. It's the doohickey that generates the electrical stuff.

No doubt somebody who actually knows what they are talking about will chip in any time now :-D:-D:-D

Please ?

Comment

Pete - a pretty good description I think. And I like the use of that well known technical term 'doohickey'. Closely related to the 'thingamajig' over here.

Wally
            79 GS1000S
            79 GS1000S (another one)
            80 GSX750
            80 GS550
            80 CB650 cafe racer
            75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
            75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Originally posted by Pete Logan View Post
              I suppose we would call a stator an alternator. I think. It's the doohickey that generates the electrical stuff.

No doubt somebody who actually knows what they are talking about will chip in any time now :-D:-D:-D

Please ?
              Thats more or less exactly what it is...an alternator...

Comment

Originally posted by Pete Logan View Post

No doubt somebody who actually knows what they are talking about will chip in any time now :-D

Please ?
                Well I don't know if I know what I am talking about :shock:, but it was explained to me that an alternator, like one typically found in a car, is more like a combination of something similar to a stator and R/R. Dunno. It can also technically be called a "thingamabob" or more simply as "that deal over there"

Comment

Yes...an alternator is more or less a stator with a rectifier and regulator built in...And on some models, maybe most i dunno for sure, but the regulator can be replaced...like on my Volvo...with a 3 mos old alternator in it.......thats bad....and doesnt charge....where'd i leave my hammer??

Comment

OK, a bit of basic charging system thoery:

All electrical power in these bike comes from the alternator. An alternator alternates, that is makes Alternating Current, or AC. This current flows back and forth through the wires, reversing directions many times per second, the rate determined by the RPM of the engine. The alternator has a rotor, which rotates, and a stator, which doesn't. On our GSes the rotor is a magnetic wheel on the end of the crank, the stator is the coils of wire attached to the cover. Moving the magnets past the coils induces a current in the coils, makes electricity, something like 90 volts AC. This electricity goes only to the rectifier...

The rectifier makes the alternating current into DC, direct current, which flows one way like power from a battery. This DC is at a voltage much too high for the rest of the bike, and it goes on to the regulator...

The regulator regulates this DC at a desired level to run the bike and charge the battery, around 13.5 - 14 or so volts.
                    On some automotive alternators the rectifier and regulator are combined on the back of the alternator, on our bikes they are combined into an RR (rectifier/regulator) unit mounted somewhere near the battery. Early GSes had a separate rectifier and regulator but on most it's a combined RR.

The battery doesn't make any power, just stores it up to use later, like the next engine start. It does need to be in good shape for the rest of this stuff to work properly.

This is pretty basic but it sounds like some needed it at this level, I hope this helps someone. Now do read the Stator Papers again.
                    Last edited by tkent02; 11-07-2007, 08:18 PM.
                    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                      OK, a bit of basic charging system thoery:

All electrical power in these bike comes from the alternator. An alternator alternates, that is makes Alternating Current, or AC. This current flows back and forth through the wires, reversing directions many times per second, the rate determined by the RPM of the engine. The alternator has a rotor, which rotates, and a stator, which doesn't. On our GSes the rotor is a magnetic wheel on the end of the crank, the stator is the coils of wire attached to the cover. Moving the magnets past the coils induces a current in the coils, makes electricity, something like 90 volts AC. This electricity goes only to the rectifier...

The rectifier makes the alternating current into DC, direct current, which flows one way like power from a battery. This DC is at a voltage much too high for the rest of the bike, and it goes on to the regulator...

The regulator regulates this DC at a desired level to run the bike and charge the battery, around 13.5 - 14 or so volts.
                      On some automotive alternators the rectifier and regulator are combined on the back of the alternator, on our bikes they are combined into an RR (rectifier/regulator) unit mounted somewhere near the battery. Early GSes had a separate rectifier and regulator but on most it's a combined RR.

Can you tell me if that applies to 77 thru 79 750s??

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
                        Can you tell me if that applies to 77 thru 79 750s??
                        I just looked at bike bandit's site, for a 1978 GS 750C it shows the two separate parts.
                        http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                          I just looked at bike bandit's site, for a 1978 GS 750C it shows the two separate parts.
                          http://houseofmotorcycles.bikebandit...C-1978/o/m6101

For future reference to all..that will then apply to 77 thru at least 80 750 models. E..i have one like that on my 77 B...just pulled on off that 80 E ....Except Clymer shows only one unit for the 79 model....ODD....

Thanks tKent...
                          Last edited by Guest; 11-07-2007, 09:13 PM.

Comment

Well, looky here!

Mr. Eric Woods,

Here's a picture of a stator:

As you can see, it's a collection of 18 coils set up in a circular pattern. There's a magnetic rotor that revolves around it, as explained earlier, that "induces" alternating current to flow. If you want more pictures, just visit my little BikeCliff website (link below) and download the Stator Replacement PDF file.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Originally posted by BassCliff View Post
                              Mr. Eric Woods,

Here's a picture of a stator:

As you can see, it's a collection of 18 coils set up in a circular pattern. There's a magnetic rotor that revolves around it, as explained earlier, that "induces" alternating current to flow. If you want more pictures, just visit my little BikeCliff website (link below) and download the Stator Replacement PDF file.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
                              That's a chingaderra. \\/
                              1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                              1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Working...
                              X