starting problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

starting problems

ok so i've been reading a lot of these forums to try and solve my issues through searches, etc. and i've decided that the only way to really answer my questions is to ask them. i bought an 85 550l not running in august. the po said it was just the igniter and it was running recently, it was cheap so i figured i'd take my chances. i went through the electrical system and concluded that it was the igniter (tested resistance of coils signal generator plug wires igniter etc. got a new used igniter from jeffscycles.com (by the way that was a month and a half fiasco, check the BBB website before ordering although i did eventually get the part.) anyway, new igniter installed and i have spark, but the bike wont catch. i cleaned carbs with gumout and put in fresh gas but didn't take the carbs apart, so that could still be an issue. put in new plugs and tried spraying starting fluid directly into the cylinders, i got just one weak cough from it after that, sounded like one cylinder popping but not any real power, and definitely only one pop after cranking the starter for 5 seconds or so. could the igniter still be bad causing a timing issue? sparks are big and blue so i thought it was ok, or is it still a carb issue? i thought the starting fluid in the cylinders should fire even if the carbs aren't giving fuel. i appreciate any thoughts

thanks

Clean the carbs the right way. See HERE
    Prime the float bowls with the prime selection on the petcock.

I would also do a compression test on her.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

You've got spark - one step in the right direction.
      Now you've got to go through the "check-list". It's all been stated on this forum many times.
      Persevere and you will succeed.
      Here's one post with the list: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=115931

Comment

If the plugs aren't wet after you've been cranking it, I'd check for gas in the float bowls. Simple to do. Remove the drain plug on each bowl and see if anything comes out. Turn the petcock lever to the Prime position while they're out and see how much flow you have out of each bowl, if any. That'll at least tell you if gas is getting to the float bowls.
        Good luck.
        Willie in TN
        Common sense has become so uncommon that I consider it a super power.

Present Stable includes:
        '74 GT750 Resto-mod I've owned since '79
        '83 GS1100E (The best E I've ever enjoyed, Joe Nardy's former bike)
        '82 GS1100G Resto project

Comment

your right i should tear down the carbs, i wanted it to at least try to start so i would know if i screwed up the carb cleaning. i thought with starting fluid directly in the cylinders it should fire even with dirty carbs, so i would know if that was the only problem. the igniter that i got has been painted and i can't see the part number so i'm curious if it could be the wrong igniter, giving me great spark at the wrong timing. it looks almost exactly the same and the connectors are the same, but i have tried to remove the paint and cant get it off to see the part numbers without screwing up the sticker that the numbers are written on. if i can't figure anything else out i guess i will tear the carbs down first and then if i still can't get it order another igniter... has anyone had experience with the hyperpak cdi from australia, someone named wayne gum on ebay who i think builds igniters, i didn't want to order a new one cause it costs as much as i paid for the bike. thanks everyone for the thoughts.

Comment

also theres fuel in the bowls, checked that... also new battery, cleaned electrical connectors etc. the plugs don't really seem to be wet though, even with the petcock on prime...

Comment

The igniter will not control the timing of the spark. Only the crank trigger.
              You really need to check compression.
              1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
              1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Hey howdy hey!

Mr. niko,

Let it be known that on this day you are cordially and formally welcomed to the GSR Forum as a Junior Member in good standing with all the rights and privileges thereof. Let it be known further that your good standing can be improved with pictures (not you, your bike)! :-D

Spark, fuel, compression. That's what you need. In addition to Mr. chef1366's fine counsel, I would recommend checking your valve clearances. It's one of the "compression" parts. :-D

Thanks for joining us.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
                (The unofficial GSR greeter)

Comment

Working...
                X