Alternative carbs needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alternative carbs needed

Need some replacement carbs for my 82 550 katana. Does anyone know if any more modern/plentiful and cost effective carbs will fit? Is there a comparison/conversion chart available. i am looking for alternatives as the diaphrams in mine are gone and cost around $140 each here in england, so do not want to get the same carbs second hand as they are likely to be in a similar condition. i am looking at gsx600f and similar carbs which seem reasonably priced and readily available. Please give me guidance if you can.

Also i will be running a 4 into 1 and pod filters.

I definitely don't know for sure, but the current bike of the month write up states using a late 80's set of mikuni flatsides from a gsxr750. He is using these with a 650 head on a 550 but I believe that the stock 650 carbs would fit onto a 550 head.

Personally, I can't think of a more common set of carbs than ones for a 550. They made a ton of these bikes and I always see a set or two on ebay. I know it is a crap shoot to get a good set but ask plenty of questions and try to find a set off of a recently running bike. Be aware that whatever set of carbs you get will need a thorough cleaning.

Comment

Originally posted by barrykatona View Post
      Need some replacement carbs for my 82 550 katana. Does anyone know if any more modern/plentiful and cost effective carbs will fit? Is there a comparison/conversion chart available. i am looking for alternatives as the diaphrams in mine are gone and cost around $140 each here in england, so do not want to get the same carbs second hand as they are likely to be in a similar condition. i am looking at gsx600f and similar carbs which seem reasonably priced and readily available. Please give me guidance if you can.

Also i will be running a 4 into 1 and pod filters.
      Be prepared to rejet and re-tune your carbs as well for this, and also be prepared to possibly be thoroughly frustrated...hehehe. Keep telling yourself its ALL worth it...:-D

Comment

Hi barrykatona

Early bandit 6 or teapot carbs will work well on your 550 kat with rejetting (DJ kit) but you will probably also need K&n filters as i doubt they will fit in your original airbox rubbers

Ive done this on a 550 L with great results just be prepared to mess with jets air screws & needle heights for hours & hours

Comment

Barry,
          NRP carbs list your diaphragms at £32 each - $65 (ish) to our US cousins. Good company to deal with and will know your bike to a tee.

http://www.nrp-carbs.co.uk/suzuki_ca...diaphragms.htm

I've got a dismantled set of CVs for a 550 in the garage somwhere, with good diaphragms I think. If you're interested let me know and I'll dig them up to check.

Wally
          79 GS1000S
          79 GS1000S (another one)
          80 GSX750
          80 GS550
          80 CB650 cafe racer
          75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
          75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Thanks for the carb link. thats a much more reasonable price.

Comment

anybody in the USA know this? Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by tone View Post
                Hi barrykatona

Early bandit 6 or teapot carbs will work well on your 550 kat with rejetting (DJ kit) but you will probably also need K&n filters as i doubt they will fit in your original airbox rubbers

Ive done this on a 550 L with great results just be prepared to mess with jets air screws & needle heights for hours & hours

"Early bandit 6 or teapot carbs " can someone translate? Thanks...i have "English" as a second language....

Comment

early bandit = suzuki bandit 600 http://www.motorbikestoday.com/revie...andit_600s.htm

teapot = gsx600F (the faired one, here in the uk we call it the teapot cos it looks like one)

there you go
                  :-D

Comment

Working...
                  X