A 1980 GS550E needing some help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A 1980 GS550E needing some help!

Ok, guys & gals, here is another challenge for the forum. I recently obtained a 1980 GS550E w/ 11K mi on it. Wouldn't run worth a darn (some starts, some not....but that is expected) Cleaned fuel tank and carbs, replaced plugs. Thing started up ok. Rode around blissfully yesterday with some backfire when coming off throttle. :P But would start with no problem. Went out today, bike would NOT start. . I have spark at all 4 plugs. Plugs are not fouled. Fuel from tank is ok (auto-valve working) engine doesn't even hit a lick on any cyclinder.......Any ideas before I haul it to $$$uzuki dealership?

How thorough was your carb cleaning? Mine have sat for months at times while I do work on my bike. You can think you've done a good job with cleaners but if you don't get into some of the small passages and run a wire or something through them they stay partially clogged. With as small as some of the bores are in carbs it doesn't take much blockage to have a big effect. Just be sure to use the right size wire for each part you're cleaning.

Comment

Cleaning

As for the cleaning, I cleaned the mains, needle jet, needle valve, float chambers.....put new o-rings on the needle valves & tested the floats. Then I proceeded to make sure the other passages were clean.....its just weird that it ran one day, but not the next morning...my biggest concern was the backfire comming off throttle. Could I have a problem with the signal generator?

Comment

i am at present been restoring a gs550 that had been stood for over a year i stripped the carbs several time and the last time it kicked up but was very lumpy and back fired on 2 cylinders then next day it stop altogether again took plugs out andf noticed they where black with sutt!
        i adjusted the mix screws to be a bit leaner cleaned the plugs and she runs ok still a bit lumpy but it hasnt ben tuned proper oh yeh i droped some redex in the cylinders to clean them out.

so it sound a bit like a tune up and a de coke may be needed
        hope this helps

cheers
        wayne

Comment

Re: A 1980 GS550E needing some help!

The first thing I would do is check to see what the voltage is at the battery terminals and then check grounds. Next, I would turn on the ignition switch and check voltage on the input (+) terminal of the coils. It should be the same as battery voltage. If not, you have connections to clean.
          Then check voltage on the output side of the coil (-). NOTE: ...the output side of the coil that is marked (-) is 12 volts POSITIVE output. the wire coming from these (-) terminals will be either black or white. The 12 volt (+) input side wire color is normally a striped wire and commonly orange and white, but the color could vary.
          Next, I would try to start it with full choke on. If it doesnt start, I would pull the plugs to see if theyre wet. If theyre dry, I would open the drain screws on the carb float bowls to see if the carbs had fuel.

Earl

Originally posted by mikestermike
          Ok, guys & gals, here is another challenge for the forum. I recently obtained a 1980 GS550E w/ 11K mi on it. Wouldn't run worth a darn (some starts, some not....but that is expected) Cleaned fuel tank and carbs, replaced plugs. Thing started up ok. Rode around blissfully yesterday with some backfire when coming off throttle. :P But would start with no problem. Went out today, bike would NOT start. . I have spark at all 4 plugs. Plugs are not fouled. Fuel from tank is ok (auto-valve working) engine doesn't even hit a lick on any cyclinder.......Any ideas before I haul it to $$$uzuki dealership?
          Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

okdoke

Sounds good.....I started the bike today, let it run for 15 minutes, shut it off, waited 10 minutes & tried to restart...wouldn't hit.....then waited 30 min, and started....Methinks I'll go over the electrics like you guys suggested, then on to the fuel. It is SO inconsistent! Thanks, will post findings...

Comment

Will an igniter for a 1982 GS550 work on an 1980?

Ok, voltages looked good....sometimes . After checking the signal generator, I used the test in the Haynes manual for checking the igniter. When the bike was in its 'running' mood m the test was ok...when not, the test failed. I think my igniter is failing (also, since it usually only runs on 2 cyclinders: 3 & 4!!). Does anyone know if an 82 GS550 igniter part #32900-47320 will work on an 1980 GS550E? There is one on Ebay from toolman9397....is this guy Kosher? Any other input on the electric problem would be helpful. It makes a lot of sense to me, due to it being so irratic and unpredictable.

Comment

Re: Will an igniter for a 1982 GS550 work on an 1980?

I dont have either of your bikes, so I cant say from experience. My instinct is that the signal generators would likely be the exact same or at worst the same but with the color coding changed for the different year.

Earl

Originally posted by mikestermike
                Ok, voltages looked good....sometimes . After checking the signal generator, I used the test in the Haynes manual for checking the igniter. When the bike was in its 'running' mood m the test was ok...when not, the test failed. I think my igniter is failing (also, since it usually only runs on 2 cyclinders: 3 & 4!!). Does anyone know if an 82 GS550 igniter part #32900-47320 will work on an 1980 GS550E? There is one on Ebay from toolman9397....is this guy Kosher? Any other input on the electric problem would be helpful. It makes a lot of sense to me, due to it being so irratic and unpredictable.
                Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

i would argree, i did some compareing between my 81 550 and a 82 550. i was buying a jet kit and what i found was the carbs and engine were exactly the same. i would bet that the eletrical sysytems are the same too.
                  78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
                  82 Kat 1000 Project
                  05 CRF450x
                  10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

Working...
                  X