Fork Leg

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fork Leg

Stripped the allen bolt on right fork leg. The question is...easier/cheaper to drill it and find another or replace the leg? 1977 GS400 is the machine in question so if replacement is the answer, what else will fit?

If you have all the tools, it would be just as easy to drill out and retap new threads. If not, you're off on a quest to find a good replacement.

Comment

could you tell me what holds inside? I took the other one apart and the bolt doesn't come all the way out. The forks come apart but it is still in there.

Comment

Which bolt are you refering to exactly?

Which number?
        Last edited by Dave8338; 11-09-2007, 09:51 PM.

Comment

looks like 15 but after it lets go and you pull the tube out of the leg it stays in the leg

Comment

This bolt should come out completely. It screws in to the fork damper or fork piston (No4) , which you will have removed if you managed to get the stantion out. However, it passes through the oil lock piece (No.6) which is unthreaded but is a smooth fit. Maybe the forks ran out of oil and you've got some corrosion here just sticking the bits together. Or maybe the copper washer on the bolt has stuck to the fork leg and is a tight fit on the bolt. I'ds suggest a bit of gentle prodding with a long screwdriver or metal rod down the fork leg, taking care not to mark the inside of the leg, or mole grips on the bolt and offer some 'persuasion' from the outside.

Wally
            79 GS1000S
            79 GS1000S (another one)
            80 GSX750
            80 GS550
            80 CB650 cafe racer
            75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
            75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Probably the sealing washer has just formed tight to the bolt. Happened on mine before.

Comment

To get this bolt out you will need to hold the damper rod inside the fork leg to prevent it from spinning ! there is a suzuki tool for this but once you know the shape of the inside of the damper its easy to make one

Mine is a T bar with the correct size bolt welded to the end :-D

Failing that drill the head off the bolt but be carefull not to damage the seat, once the head is off the damper will come out & the remaining part of the bolt can be remover with mole grips

hope this helps

Comment

I almost had the same thing happen, but I quit before it got bad. I was using an air ratchet too!

Comment

Thanks for the advice. It was the washer and 30 year old lock-tite I guess. Was able to get the stripped one out with a slightly larger allen bit, air impact wrench and large table vise. Looking like it's not going back though so I guess I am off to the hardware store. Those seals were a pain as well and I scuffed the inside of the leg a little but it's under where the seal goes but still in the larger section where the fork tube doesn't touch so I am hoping that it will be okay and I will get a goo seal. I will be back with more questions if not.

Thanks again, you guys are great!

Comment

You won't find that bolt at the hardware store -- it's a special thread pitch.

Order new ones from BikeBandit...
                      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

another question

Okay after draining what appeared to be 90w gear oil from the forks doing the seals and getting everything back together I have two questions:

Front brake rubs at one point but the book doesn't have an ajustment for the disk only a drum so do I drive it and see if it wears down or do I ...?

how do I tell how high to mount the fork tubes?

Comment

Working...
                        X