Suspension gurus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Suspension gurus

I'm building my 1979 GS750L as a 70's chopper with a lot of rack on the front. I don't want it to be much shorter on the front end. So I was wondering if there was another set of forks that I could use that would be longer or is it would be possible to lengthen my current forks

I figure i would ask this here rather then starting another topic.

Can someone give me dimensions for front 520 sprockets. Specifically I need the outer diameter in the valley of the tooths.

Comment

My L forks are longer and have a leading axle.
      1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
      1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by n1elkyfan View Post
        I figure i would ask this here rather then starting another topic.

Can someone give me dimensions for front 520 sprockets. Specifically I need the outer diameter in the valley of the tooths.
        What number of teeth? I have a 520 conversion kit for my GSXR1000 sitting in the garage that I can measure if you like.

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
          My L forks are longer and have a leading axle.
          I don't have a standard and an L model here to compare, but is the steering stem to axle distance any longer on the L model, or is it just the longer fork legs behind the axle?

If you are looking for really long fork legs, you will also have to consider re-angling the steering stem so you don't tilt the whole bike backward. Keep in mind that any changes to the forks will affect how the bike handles, so be careful when you get it back on the road.

I just looked at Bike Bandit to compare their part numbers for fork parts. It shows the springs as the same for the standard and the L models (different for the E model), but then it shows both of them with leading axles, so how much am I supposed to believe the rest of that? :shock:

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Mark it would be great if you could measure the the Diameter for the front sprocket and tell me how many teeth its got.

Steve I was planning on angling the steering stem thats why I'm trying to find out how to make the forks longer. I Need to go take some measurement so I can find out how much longer I want it.

Comment

Mark it would be great if you could measure the the Diameter for the front sprocket and tell me how many teeth its got.
              Elky,

It is a 17 tooth Vortex sprocket.

OD outside of tooth peaks (max OD of sprocket) is about 3.65"

diameter of tooth valleys is about 3.02"

It's tough to get an exact number, because the odd number of teeth don't match up evenly across the diameter.

Mark

Comment

That what I was afraid of its just a little small for my project guess its back to the drawling board.

Thanks anywise

Comment

I went out and did somemesurment and have decied I want the rake to be between 35-45 degrees which means I need forks about 39 to 35 inches. Anybody know is this is even possible with out spending a bunch of money.

Comment

I went out and did somemesurment and have decied I want the rake to be between 35-45 degrees which means I need forks about 39 to 35 inches. Anybody know is this is even possible with out spending a bunch of money.
                    Well, longer fork tubes are available from Forking by Frank, but they aren't that cheap. They will custom make some pretty long tubes, though. I would be very concerned about flex in forks that long, but since you are talking 35+ degrees of rake, you aren't concerned about handling very much anyway.

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                      I don't have a standard and an L model here to compare, but is the steering stem to axle distance any longer on the L model, or is it just the longer fork legs behind the axle?

If you are looking for really long fork legs, you will also have to consider re-angling the steering stem so you don't tilt the whole bike backward. Keep in mind that any changes to the forks will affect how the bike handles, so be careful when you get it back on the road.

I just looked at Bike Bandit to compare their part numbers for fork parts. It shows the springs as the same for the standard and the L models (different for the E model), but then it shows both of them with leading axles, so how much am I supposed to believe the rest of that? :shock:

I'll measure from top of fork to axle tomorrow. I ASSUMED since the 80 L model is called a chopper that it had longer forks. It could be the rake.
                      1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                      1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark M View Post
                        Well, longer fork tubes are available from Forking by Frank, but they aren't that cheap. They will custom make some pretty long tubes, though. I would be very concerned about flex in forks that long, but since you are talking 35+ degrees of rake, you aren't concerned about handling very much anyway.

Mark
                        I'll have to check them out I was thinking that if I had to buy a set of forks that I might go with a springer setup. Has any body heard of or done business with http://www.jeris-springer.com/

Comment

I've actually heard of that guy before on that show biker build off on discovery. One of the builders used him. Well I'm assuming him because they were called forks by Jeri. I've never used him but hey if they're good enough for prime time television they're good enough for me*

Comment

Working...
                          X