• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weak Spark...NO SPARK!

To the GS master minds...
    1980 GS 450 L
    Electronic Ingnition
    I had little to no spark in one of my cylinders.(the other WAS running fine) After going through tons of electrical research I have determined generator is ok but I need a rectifier, no suprise!. BUT...when running test with a charger attached (12.8 -13.3 v) I still have weak spark. I followed the steps in my Clymer manual and verified the signal generator ohmed out ok (65 ohms each side), but thats all I know how to do with it...ohm it out. Should I do more?
    Coils ohmed out ok...4 ohms on primary and 22,000 on secondary. Consistent numbers on both coils.
    The book walked me through giving the ignition control a fake signal from the generator. I was careful to verify polarity when applying the fake signal. I got a single spark from both plugs repeatedly as I applied the meter's signal. That is all the book said about testing the ignition controller.
    So I plug the signal generator back in and went to start the bike but now theres NO spark at ALL and I have the charger connected with 12.9 - 13.3 volts verified! ARRGGHH!!! :-x
    I ran through the fake signal steps again to see if I screwed up the ignition control, but I still get spark on both plugs when I send the fake signal. I checked and triple checked everything hooked up correctly. From stator to rectifier to signal generator to ignition control. Anything I touched I checked.
    I don't know what the next step should be and I thought about crying over the situation, but the 5 year old neighbor was there. Help? :?

Don't cry

It sounds like you have a bad connection somewhere. I've seen coils check out good but not be. I'd hate to see you start shooting in the dark and start replacing parts but all you have is five things to consider. Crank trigger, igniter, coils, wires and condition of battery.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Remeber that you are dealing with almost 28 year old wiring. My bet would be that you have a bad wire that is killing your power. A good fix would be to replace the whole wiring harness. It's not that hard and will eliminate old, brittle wiring as a problem. I did that with my friends '80 GS450L and it solved a lot of little probelms that we were working on.
      1981 GS 450L

2007 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom

The good we do no one remembers.
      The bad we do no one forgets.

Mark 5:36 -- Overhearing what they said, Jesus told him, "Don't be afraid; just believe".

Comment

Weak spark

Matt,
        I went through the same thing. I checked everything just as you did. I was really frustrated. I put a brand new battery in it and problem went away but I`m not really sure why. You didn`t mention how old your battery is. It just seemed to me that with the new batttery everything powered up like it supposed to. Good luck.

Comment

Working...
        X