help with loosening nuts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

help with loosening nuts?

my husband is trying to replace the clutch on our 77 gs. he is having trouble loosening the nute that hold the cover in place. he has gone so far as trying to use screw extractors to get them out. any advice?

A cold shower. Sorry, that was just too easy. Good luck with the project.

Comment

Have you tried an impact wrench?

Comment

You might try some heat, but be careful with a torch around your bike.

Comment

Re: help with loosening nuts?

Suzi

I had that same problem with removing my clutch cover. The only reasonable way (in my opinion) is to use a hammer driven impact tool/wrench.
          I assume the nuts you are referring to are the stock phillips head machine screws. If he has wormed out the head with a screwdriver bit, the next step is to take a hammer and peen the heads until the phillips slots are almost closed. Then take a large (no. 3) phillips bit from your impact driver bit set and use a hammer to drive the bit into the solft screw head and consequently cut a new phillips slot. Then put the bit into the impact driver, being sure to set the rotation direction correctly.Hold the driver down hard into the screw slot and strike it once....very hard. Usually, the screw will break loose and you can then turn it out. If you dont hold the driver down hard enough, it will ride out of the slot, stripping it again. If that happens, take a dremel tool with a fiber cut-off disk and cut a slot in the top of the screw head to fit the largest slotted impact bit. (no. 3 or 4...I forget which) repeat the process of holding the impact driver onto the screw very hard and striking it once........hard. I have only had to resort to the cutting a slot with a dremel once.

Earl

Originally posted by suziq
          my husband is trying to replace the clutch on our 77 gs. he is having trouble loosening the nute that hold the cover in place. he has gone so far as trying to use screw extractors to get them out. any advice?
          Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

If he has actually used screw extractors, then he must have drilled through the bolt heads and into the bolts, because screw extractors only work if you do that.

If he got nowhere after doing that, then the next thing is to go up another size or two in drill bits, and remove the head from the bolt.

After the head is gone, the cover will come off easily, and other methods can be used to remove the rest of the bolt.
            Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

Err get your other half to rub them a little!

Comment

If its not too late, I highly recommend spraying the screws with PB Blaster and letting them soak awhile (5 minutes, max). That stuff is without a doubt the best product I've ever tried for loosening stuck screws and bolts.
                Good luck.

Comment

It sounds like more of a medical problem. :? :?

Comment

Once you get them off you should replace them with hex head or an allen bolts. the philips are notorious for stripping.
                    good luck :roll:

Comment

Working...
                    X