Steering stem bearings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Steering stem bearings

I want to grease the steering stem bearings on my 1100. It says in Clymers to remove the forks. Can I just loosen the two upper fork pinch bolts to get the upper steering stem off?
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

That will get you to the upper bearings, but what about the lower bearings that carry all the load?

The upper bearings just hold the stem straight.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

After the 2 fork bolts, looks like also the big bolt on top of the stem and the pinch bolt on upper tree. Then the big nut. Then maybe it will start to drop down enough to smear some grease in the lower bearing.
      Last edited by bonanzadave; 11-11-2007, 06:21 PM.
      82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

for sure from the centerstand if you can get someone to hold the back of the bike down you should have no prob...when stripping this 80 750 i was amazed how easy they came out.. granted my whole rear was already apart so i had plenty of clearance to lay it back but that should let it down far enough to get some grease under/on there.

Comment

Working...
        X