Petcock?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Petcock?

Hi everyone. Back to my petcock problem. Put a brand new petcock on the bike. Still not convinced its right. Put a tube on the petcock. Turned to on position. Sucked on tube as hard as i could--- No petrol? I know its a vacuum device and should release fuel on vacuum. Is sucking on it enough to get it out? Any help before i ring the supplier of my petcock?

Eric
    Dublin

Very little vacuum is required. Make sure you are applying the vacuum to the smaller of the two fittings and fuel will run out the larger fitting. Also, make sure there is enough gas in the tank.
    NO PIC THANKS TO FOTO BUCKET FOR BEING RIDICULOUS

Current Rides: 1980 Suzuki GS1000ET, 2009 Yamaha FZ1, 1983 Honda CB1100F, 2006 H-D Fatboy
    Previous Rides: 1972 Yamaha DS7, 1977 Yamaha RD400D, '79 RD400F Daytona Special, '82 RD350LC, 1980 Suzuki GS1000E (sold that one), 1982 Honda CB900F, 1984 Kawasaki GPZ900R

Comment

Yeah, it takes very little to open the petcock, as you suck on the hose, fairly quick, you should feel the petcock kind of click open.
      1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

If your petcock is a vacuum device it will have two pipes, a smaller one for the vacuum from the crabs to open the flow and a slightly larger on the petcock via which the fuel flows to the carbs. The tap settings normally (on my GS1000G) have a PRI, ON & RES. The PRI setting is Prime and will bypass the vacuum activation and will always let fuel through and can be seen as similar to the "Open" or "Run" on other types of petcocks.
        Now comes the tricky part - you should also have a "RES" which is usually Reserve. If you do not have enough fuel in the tank to flow out of the tank due to the level being in the reserve, then nothing will happen if you suck on the vacuum pipe with petcock ON, but will freely flow on RES.
        Usually when working on a tank one puts fuel in from a container initially and seldomly enough to exceed the reserve.

Comment

I feel like a cabbage.

I feel like a right plonker. I thought the fuel is sucked down the vacuum line. I noticed that when i sucked on the vacuum that petrol came out the larger prime connection. This turns out to be the correct operation. I was sucking for a good half hour waiting for fuel to come down the same tube!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Learn everyday as they say. Well got it started but sounded very rough. ive noticed there is 2 jubilee clips missing on the airbox side connecting the boots to the carbs ( Air side) would this have a big effect on my bike starting? or running

Thanks again for all the support

Comment

Large pipe goes on the fuel out smaller pipe is the vacuum.

A good suck on the small pipe should give you enough fuel to fill a tea cup or wich that you hadn't sucked it in the first place.

Two clips missing may have a effect but not as bad as between the engine and carb's.

Suzuki mad.
            Last edited by Guest; 11-11-2007, 12:18 PM. Reason: spull cheaquer

Comment

Working...
            X