'83 GS1100E Carb Qs (suprise, right?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'83 GS1100E Carb Qs (suprise, right?)

I finally got the carbs off (having to remove the choke bracket is just stupid) and am curious whether or not they were ever actually jetted PROPERLY for the pipes/pods. The mains in there now are 122.5 and i'm having major flames/popping on even slight decel combined with an inability to idle without choke. Assuming the cleaning doesn't solve the idle, does it sound like the mains rich and the pilot lean?

Have you looked through the "Carb Stickies" that is the first thread in this forum?
    Originally posted by mcycle-nut View Post
    '83 GS1100ED(Canadian model for sure)

Carb Type Mikuni BS34SS
    Bore Size 34mm
    I.D. No 49360
    Idle r/min 1050+100r/min
    Fuel Level 5+.5mm
    Float Height 22.4+1mm
    Main jet #112.5
    Main air jet 1.2mm
    Jet Needle 5D9-3rd position
    Needle jet X2
    Pilot Jet #47.5
    By pass .8mm
    Pilot Outlet 1mm
    Valve Seat 2mm
    Starter jet #32.5
    Pilot Screw 2 1/2
    Pilot air screw #160
    Throttle cable play .5-1mm
    Yeah, it's for a Candian model (for sure), but most of the info should be good. I would not be surprised to learn that the US-spec bikes might have had 110 mains, but can not say for sure. If you have 122.5 in yours, you are 2 1/2 sizes enlarged, but with pods and a pipe, you might want something closer to a 130. Do a search for posts by Keith Krause, as he is the resident expert on re-jetting carbs.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Ozmiander View Post
      I finally got the carbs off (having to remove the choke bracket is just stupid) and am curious whether or not they were ever actually jetted PROPERLY for the pipes/pods. The mains in there now are 122.5 and i'm having major flames/popping on even slight decel combined with an inability to idle without choke. Assuming the cleaning doesn't solve the idle, does it sound like the mains rich and the pilot lean?
      Just another data point (and significantly different than mcycle-nut's)

82 GS1100E (Canadian model)
      Emgo pods
      Kerker 4-1 (canister muffler style, not megaphone)

Mixture screws - 3.0 turns out
      Pilot jet - 47.5
      Main jet - 142
      Stock needle on 3rd groove (Canadian needles remained adjustable after US models weren't)

Bike pulls hard from idle to well past redline in every gear, with sharp throttle response everywhere and no lean surge detectable.

Edit: I forgot to mention I live at 3400ft ASL.

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by Mark M View Post
        Pilot jet - 47.5
        Main jet - 142
        Edit: I forgot to mention I live at 3400ft ASL.

Mark

I'm only at about 200ft ASL, but that's still seems like a LOT bigger of a main. Sounds like i might need to really fine tune the carbs, especially since blasting the pilots with carb cleaner didn't make a difference.

Comment

What type of pipe and pods do you have?

Get a Dynojet jet kit. It will save you alot of heartache. Try HERE
          MFG part# 3133.
          Before I went with a Dynojet with a Kerker 4-1 and K&N pods I raised the needle two notches by losing the plastic spacer on the top and replacing them with the same heighth consisting of Radio Shack washers and then removing four of them. Two washers = one notch on a needle. I also ran with a 130 main jet, a 47.5 pilot and a 170 pilot air jet. I could never get the needle right with this setup.

Dynojet setup. 138 mains
          47.5 pilot
          Needle second notch from bottom
          170 pilot air jet
          Bike idles great, has no hesitation and rocks on full throttle.
          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
          1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post

V&H 4-1 Megaphone and k&n pods. The bike still pulls enough to push my fat ass off the seat, but i REALLY don't want to hole a piston. I can't afford a wiseco big bore kit quite yet ;P

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
              Have you looked through the "Carb Stickies" that is the first thread in this forum?

Yeah, it's for a Candian model (for sure), but most of the info should be good. I would not be surprised to learn that the US-spec bikes might have had 110 mains, but can not say for sure. If you have 122.5 in yours, you are 2 1/2 sizes enlarged, but with pods and a pipe, you might want something closer to a 130. Do a search for posts by Keith Krause, as he is the resident expert on re-jetting carbs.

1983 1100 ED/ESD

Specs in mm.
              Carb Type- Mikuni BS34SS
              Bore Size-34 mm
              ID# - 49380
              Idle r/min - 1050 +/- 100 r/min
              Fuel Level - 5.0 +/- 0.5
              Float Height - 22.4 +/- 1.0
              Main Jet - #112.5
              Main Air Jet - 1.2
              Jet Needle - 5D58
              Needle Jet - X-1
              Pilot Jet - #45
              Bypass - 0.8, 0.8, 0.8
              Pilot Outlet - 1.0
              Valve Seat - 2.0
              Starter Jet - #32.5
              Pilot Screw - Pre-Set, Varies
              Pilot Air Jet - #180
              Throttle Cable Play - 0.5-1.0
              Doug aka crag antler

83GS1100E, gone
              2000 Kawasaki Concours
              Please wear ATGATT

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post

Get a Dynojet jet kit. It will save you alot of heartache. Try HERE
                MFG part# 3133.
                Ditto...Mine came with pods and 4-1. The PO had put a larger jet in but it still wasn't right.
                Got the DynoJet kit and had the thing running great in a weekend.

It costs a little more than doing it yourself, but it's very simple.

Later,
                Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
                '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Working...
                X