Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Running on 3 cylinders

Ok, it's me again...

So, after reassembling the bodywork on my bike, I went out for a shakedown run. Everything felt fine. I was extremely low on fuel, so with the bike seemed to not run right, I thought it was because it was fuel starved.

Filled up, took off, grabbed some throttle, same lack luster response. Thinking maybe it just needed a minute to get the carbs filled back up with gas I rode on, maybe 3 or 4 miles. Problem still there, so I checked the header. Sure enough, #4 was only warm, not even close to hot.

Two or three nights ago, I took it for a ride before putting all the bodywork on and it was fine. Kinda makes the think it's not a fuel problem, else I would have noticed then since I hadn't touch the carbs since before that ride.

Hooked a multimeter to the #4 plug wire & got readings, just it was changing so fast, I couldn't actually read the numbers coming up. It appears there is fire coming down the plug wire.

#1 appears to be just fine too, so that should eliminate the coil.

After a 10 minute ride, I could put my bare hand on the #4 header pipe. Water sizzled on the other three.

Where should I check, what should I check & how should I check it?

Thanks!

JM

Good plugs? Spark plug caps sometimes crap out as well. NGK's are about $5 each and work well.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Yep!

I've experienced the same problem a couple of times. Each and every time it was a carburator problem; nothing else. I tried every single thing I could think of to fix it but ended up taking off the carbs and giving them a thorough cleaning every time.....which fixed it every time. Maybe, there's a better answer; I hope so.
      1980 GS1100E, the latest of many.

Comment

I do hope so, I JUST re-worked the carbs. I'll pick up replacement plugs to be sure. I have a hard time believing that the carbs altered themselves 48 or so hours AFTER the bike was running fine and I had touched nothing but bodywork ~

JM

Comment

Switch the plug caps around and see if the trouble follows.
          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
          1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Will do Chef, gotta put tires on the cage tomorrow, so I'll be doing plenty of garage work ~

JM

Comment

Congratulations...you now have what Triumph referes to as a "Speed Triple"......:-D
              But seriously, folks....sounds like a carb issue to me as well. I've seen the symptoms before. Check the pilot jet on that carb, as well as the float needle (might be stuck in the housing).

Comment

Originally posted by Captainkirk View Post
                Congratulations...you now have what Triumph referes to as a "Speed Triple"......:-D
                But seriously, folks....sounds like a carb issue to me as well. I've seen the symptoms before. Check the pilot jet on that carb, as well as the float needle (might be stuck in the housing).
                I lay my money on #4 carb as well.
                You may have a partially blocked pilot jet. Sometimes after a backfire, the crap will dislodge and the engine will run ok. Once the bike sits again, the obstruction finds it's way back across the passage.
                Bite the bullet and re-clean that carb.
                :) The road to hell is paved with good intentions......................................

GS 850GN JE 894 10.5-1 pistons, Barnett Clutch, C-W 4-1, B-B MPD Ignition, Progressive suspension, Sport Demons. Sold
                GS 850GT JE 1023 11-1 pistons. Sold
                GS1150ES3 stock, V&H 4-1. Sold
                GS1100GD, future resto project. Sold

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000001.jpg
                http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000581.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by 49er View Post
                  I lay my money on #4 carb as well.
                  You may have a partially blocked pilot jet. Sometimes after a backfire, the crap will dislodge and the engine will run ok. Once the bike sits again, the obstruction finds it's way back across the passage.
                  Bite the bullet and re-clean that carb.
                  This guy knows his sh!t!!
                  Respect bro! :-D
                  1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.

Comment

Ok, in looking at the carb (not disassembled yet) there is gas in the float bowl, I'll give an update in a bit, going to switch the plugs around just to be sure.

On a side note, the carb does seem suspect because the plug wasn't wet & reeking of gas when I removed it. That sounds like fuel never got there in the 1st place ~

JM

Comment

Ok, I swapped the #1 & #4 plugs... the results? My GS is possessed.

It only ran on #2 & #3 so maybe the plugs are suspect, but possibly not the only problem. I'll replace those today and see what happens.

Since the problem spread, there's a problem with #4 plug. However, after switching the plugs back to the original location, the problem was STILL in #4. When I pulled the plugs after swapping them, they both were wet with fuel.

I'll check back in after I replace the plugs ~

JM

Comment

New plugs, still cold on #4.

However, after draining the #4 bowl, I pulled it off with the carbs still in place & hooked up to the tank. Float valve is working properly. Popped the rubber plug off of the pilot jet, got a little fuel from there too. Reassembled #4, started it and everything seems to be working.

I'll just not be able to understand why ~

JM

Comment

You cleared out some gunk that was in your pilot ciruit. I hope it doesn't return.

Comment

Working...
                          X