85 GS700 fork seal replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

85 GS700 fork seal replacement

I was wondering if anyone out there has a manual for the 85GS700, and if so , would you be willing to copy the pages on fork seal replacement and e-mail them to me? I have only found one manual, and it costs about $70.00 , and heck, I could have a shop do it for that. I checked!

I'm recovering from shoulder surgury, and have been off work for a while, so money is tight. I'm trying to get the bike back on the road for my wife. If anyone can help I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

fork cap removal

Anyone know how to remove the fork caps on a 85 GS700E?

Comment

The dreaded circlip. These are real little buggers that fly off never to be seen again.

Using the attached parts sheet as a guide:

Part 20 flips off with a screwdriver, or if your lucky your thumb nail. You then need to push part 18 down in the centre with a blunt screwdriver and prise out the circlip, part 19. Helps if you have a mate with you, one pushing on 18 and the other prising on 19. Best if you can do it with a rag covering most of the top of the fork in case the clip pings off.

The spring and old oil etc then tip out (when you hold it upside down).

You then have to remove the allen bolt part 26 from the bottom. These can be tight and you can ruin the head easily so be careful (air gun ratchet works best). If the inside spins you'll have to hold it - you can get away with an old broom handle wedged in there sometimes otherwise you have to knock up a 19mm bolt and 2 nuts that act as a reverse socket. Once that bolt is out you can just pull out the stantion. We never had the 700 but it looks the same as our later 550s and by pulling the stantion out you pull the seal out at the same time - means you have to fit the stantion in first when fitting new seals - be careful to get things square.

Wally
      79 GS1000S
      79 GS1000S (another one)
      80 GSX750
      80 GS550
      80 CB650 cafe racer
      75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
      75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

I drain the oil out first, then loosen the bottom bolt with an air driven impact. Then remove the top cap. Now remove the bottom allen head bolt and pull out the springs. Slide off the slider/wiper cover and remove the circlip and washer that is just above the seal. Push fork tube all the way down into leg and yank the tube upwards firmly to pull out the seal. Install new seal onto fork tube and insert tube into fork leg. Use appropriately sized section of pipe or tubing slid over fork tube to push new seal down into fork leg. Then reassemble in reverse order of disassembly. 10.4 ounces of 10wt. fork oil.
        Dee Durant '83 750es (Overly molested...) '88 gl1500 (Yep, a wing...)

Comment

Thanks a bunch! Everyone on here is very helpful..I'm gonna give it a try, right after I pick the kids up from school......thank you again!

Comment

just to let you know, all is well. Forks are clean and ready for new seals. Thanks for all the help!

Comment

Working...
            X