non charging gs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

non charging gs

:?I am looking at my first gs and it doesn't charge. I know the gs have charging issues and have read about them. I don't know what the bike will need to fix it, (regulator, stator, or etc.). I am mechanically inclined but wonder how hard it is to change out the stator? If that is all it would need or combined bad components! Any info or just opinions on the matter would be appreciated thanks

The very best thing You should do is go to the Garage section on the GSR Home page and go through "The Stator Papers" where You will find a step by step diagnostic test to determine where the problem is. The stator isn't a difficult job but You need to know if it is the problem instead of the RR or simply bad connection in the Charging Circuit. You didn't say what GS You are looking at, that will impact the level of difficulty as well.
    sigpic2002 KLR650 Ugly but fun!
    2001 KLR650 too pretty to get dirty

Life is a balancing act, enjoy every day, "later" will come sooner than you think. Denying yourself joy now betting you will have health and money to enjoy life later is a bad bet.

Where I've been Riding

Comment

Originally posted by freizrdn View Post
      :?I am looking at my first gs and it doesn't charge. I know the gs have charging issues and have read about them. I don't know what the bike will need to fix it, (regulator, stator, or etc.). I am mechanically inclined but wonder how hard it is to change out the stator? If that is all it would need or combined bad components! Any info or just opinions on the matter would be appreciated thanks
      It could be (and often is) as simple as a bad ground or bullet connector.

After that, the next most likely culprit is the regulator/rectifier.
      You can get honda R/Rs for about $40 on ebay that work better than the OEM one

The stator is about third most likely.

Do the stuff in my sig, and if that doesn't fix it, then go to the stator pages to troublshoot

Comment

All sound advice. Here is a link to make it even easier for you: The Stator Papers.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Hey howdy hey!

Mr. freizrdn,

Let it be known that you are hereby cordially and formally welcomed to the GSR Forum as a Junior Member in good standing with all the rights and privileges thereof. Further, let it be known that your standing can be improved with pictures (not you, your bike)! :-D

What kind of bike do you have? If you like, click the link to my little BikeCliff website (in my sig below) and you'll find a stator replacement pictorial guide. Always consult the manual specific to your motorcycle, but the guide should help get you familiar with the procedure. And The Stator Papers is your friend. Thanks for joining us. Let us know how it goes.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
          (The unofficial GSR greeter)

Comment

Working...
          X