time for me to ask a stupid question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

time for me to ask a stupid question

ok so I have my 78 gs750 and I know all the paperwirk is behind so I know to get er runnin legal again I'm gonna have to go to dmv and show them the engine and bike vin's.

problem is i can't find the bike's vin.

i'm guessin' it'd be on the neck but I can't find it and if they ground it off it was the best work they did on the entire bike. lol.

there's no signs of a vin number and or manufacturer plate EVER being there.

could be a replacement frame which are sold unstamped & without a vin plate here in the uk :shock:

Comment

Originally posted by tone View Post
      could be a replacement frame which are sold unstamped & without a vin plate here in the uk :shock:
      And that spells HEADACHE over here...

Comment

i highly doubt they were capable of such a feat

Comment

well if i can't find it then I turn to one of two options register it as a custom or register it thru means of a fake lien sale. then they don't have to check it.

Comment

If youve no VIN number on that frame, and dont have a title, you could be in for some problems...If you have a good title here, they dont even look at the bike. But some states are different i dunno how it works where you are. Some states require yearly or semi annual inspections of bikes...dunno. No VIN equals No bike here...you can do wtf ever you want to it, swap parts engines whatever, but the title goes with the frame.

Comment

Originally posted by hotbox05 View Post
              well if i can't find it then I turn to one of two options register it as a custom or register it thru means of a fake lien sale. then they don't have to check it.
              Or by a frame with title from somewhere.

Comment

title is lost. i have old paperwork from previous owner to who i bought it from for request for duplicate title which requires them to look at the vins.

apparently i am wasting time and money. insert gun in mouth here.

Comment

Hotbox PM sent

Comment

thanks for the try my friend.

Comment

NP I feel your pain. At least yours is running :P

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
                        And that spells HEADACHE over here...
                        Unlucky

Comment

For what it's worth, on my '78 750 it's on the neck. If you crank the handlebars all the way to the right you can see the manufacturer's plate, if you crank the handlebars all the way to the left the VIN is stamped right into the neck next to the plate.

If you can't find it, check with the DMV in your state - they can tell you what, if anything, you can do to get it legal.

Good luck...

Comment

Take a road trip to California and register the bike here. They won't even want to see the thing.

Comment

Working...
                            X