new clutch?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

new clutch?

Okay, 82' GS850. 21K on it. My clutch engages when the lever is released before half way. Sometimes I have to use a little more gas when letting go in 1st. Not a big deal. Once in a while (not often), my friends have crotch rockets and they just romp on the throttle and let go of the clutch and do wheelies and such. Well I have noticed that when I went to do that a couple of times, my bike would shake alot and people in back of me say it blows a lot of smoke. I know I shouldn't even be doing that in the first place with her being 25 years old, but I just didn't know if I did some serious damage internally. It was about 2 months ago that I popped the clutch. I have also found that just in every day riding when I do ride, maybe more gas is needed to let out of 1st to not stall. Not 100% positive about more gas needed to let out of 1st as the ride goes on, but was just wondering if anything internal could have been damaged. To let out in 1st, very little throttle is needed to go. It's not like I have to have the throttle half way before to engage. I didn't want to steer you guys to think that I have no clutch. Just more of an mind at ease question that anything else. Thanks guys.

Doesnt sound like a clutch problem. Clutch problem would be described as engine rpms increasing but speed not increasing.

Smoke out exhaust is related to condition of engine, not clutch.

Not understanding what you are saying about needing more gas to get going. SUppose that would be hard to describe.
    http://webpages.charter.net/ddvrnr/GS850_1100_Emblems.jpg
    Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
    GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

https://imgur.com/YTMtgq4

Comment

When I first start riding my bike, the clutch seems more responsive letting out before half way point on clutch lever with little throttle used, but say towards then end of an hour ride, the clutch will feel a little more "sluggish" with the same amount of clutch lever play, hence needing a little more throttle to engage clutch otherwise feeling like it will stall. Normal clutch wear maybe?

Comment

Are you saying it's harder to get the bike going when it's warm?
        If your smoking under load sounds like worn piston rings. The warmer the motor gets the sloppier the innards get.
        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

also check the condition and adjustment of your clutch cable. The cable will commonly fray and lengthen as it wears out. This will cause your clutch to engage sooner, with less lever movement. Hopefully this may solve your clutch problem. As for the motor issues. go with what Chef said.

Comment

Working...
          X