tach needle sweeps???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

tach needle sweeps???

at highway speeds, erratic up & down between5-8 grand or so...haven't really watched to see if it does it at lower gears accelerating. any one had this happen before and now of a fix if any? rolling down the road i've tapped on the glass and the needle will move with each tap if this means anything.if its done, i'll just take off the guage cluster & mount a big ole sun tach smack dab in the middle & call it good! is that possible being mine is electronic and all? just bugs the crap out of me! thanx, A.J.

Mine does that sometimes but I don't have a electronic tach
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

gets gummed up inside

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
      Mine does that sometimes but I don't have a electronic tach
      I have delt with tach's getting sluggish several times. Gunk builds up on the internal parts and the only fix is to replace or get inside and clean it out carefully.

Jim

Comment

Fix or replace

Mr. timebandit 1150e,

My tach was wandering a lot until I just cleaned and lubed both ends of the cable. I sprayed a spritz of WD40 in where the cable connects to the tachometer too. I've also replaced my tach seal because it was leaking. If that doesn't work, then it's time for stronger measures.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

You need to replace the resistors on the board of the tacho, search in the archive for a thread by Karl Zellner, about Tachos. Have done this repair to my 1150; hint/tip the originals in mine were glued as well, i did not re-glue them, and believe we should, I suggest a lo-melt hot glue gun to lay a bead of glue over the replacements to redue the vibration they will suffer.

Dink

Comment

thanx dink

Originally posted by Dink View Post
            You need to replace the resistors on the board of the tacho, search in the archive for a thread by Karl Zellner, about Tachos. Have done this repair to my 1150; hint/tip the originals in mine were glued as well, i did not re-glue them, and believe we should, I suggest a lo-melt hot glue gun to lay a bead of glue over the replacements to redue the vibration they will suffer.

Dink
            i bet there's probably a dozen of those dudes in it too huh? figures it be a technical/electronics issue with my luck! thats greek to me...

Comment

Originally posted by timebandit 1150e View Post
              i bet there's probably a dozen of those dudes in it too huh? figures it be a technical/electronics issue with my luck! thats greek to me...
              Your luck is improving!!!:-D there are only two you need to replace, one is 27 micro-farad, the other I cant remember for the life of me.

So I snuck off to the garage and looked the other is 33 micro-farad, the crack off voltage is not important.

Dink

Comment

Originally posted by Dink View Post
                Your luck is improving!!!:-D there are only two you need to replace, one is 27 micro-farad, the other I cant remember for the life of me.

So I snuck off to the garage and looked the other is 33 micro-farad, the crack off voltage is not important.

Dink
                thanx dink...in order to take to elect. repair shop,will the circut board easily disconnect/or hardwired? or have to take whole cluster in? A.J.

Comment

My 1150 must have had 'gunk' or something in it. After taking some 'spirited' runs with it and making the tach work a bit, my wandering disappeared and my tach seems to work properly. Could also be the resistors ~

JM

Comment

As explained to me about six or seven years ago by Karl, mid 80's japanese electronics were not the leading edge stuff they are today; verified with electronics engineer (my Dad) , great to hear that helped Journeyman, but I think you will find they will need replacement sonner rather than later.

The tacho is relatively easy to dis-assemble from the gauge cluster, the circuit board is dead easy from there. Ever soldered a wire to gether?? if so there is no reason you cannot replace those components yourself, it is only four spots of "de-soldering" and four spots of "re-soldering"

Dink

Comment

Hey Folks...
                      Have started reading the technical stuff here and this is an issue with my 1150 as well...I do electrical...so, sounds easy enough...
                      Great to have these kind of resources!

Comment

Working...
                      X