Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which lubricant to use?

Ok so here goes
    I just strippped and cleaned my cv carbs.
    Which lube (if any) should I put on the cv boot and slide?
    Any ideas
    Cheers

No lube, just put them together

Comment

Before you put the slides back in check the diaphragms by looking through them into a bright light looking for pin holes.
      1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
      1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

The best lube for the job is ... NONE. 8-[

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Gidday KiwiGS

How are you enjoying that cold blast down there? It's due up here in the morning.
          The only lube you need for those slides will be supplied by the fuel when you start her up!!
          Bench sync and light her up.
          :) The road to hell is paved with good intentions......................................

GS 850GN JE 894 10.5-1 pistons, Barnett Clutch, C-W 4-1, B-B MPD Ignition, Progressive suspension, Sport Demons. Sold
          GS 850GT JE 1023 11-1 pistons. Sold
          GS1150ES3 stock, V&H 4-1. Sold
          GS1100GD, future resto project. Sold

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000001.jpg
          http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000581.jpg

Comment

KY is my favorite.

....oh for the carbs.

I but a couple drops of oil on if they'll be sitting a while. don't know if its right or wrong.
            Yamaha fz1 2007

Comment

No lube on carb slides, lithium grease on carb linkages, and rubber grease on the boots.

Dink

Comment

Thanks guys.

Originally posted by 49er View Post
                Gidday KiwiGS

How are you enjoying that cold blast down there? It's due up here in the morning.
                The only lube you need for those slides will be supplied by the fuel when you start her up!!
                Bench sync and light her up.
                Thanks mate.
                I would pack a jacket for work this morning or the wets if you are riding.
                It is wet and cold here not flash at all.
                cheers

Comment

Originally posted by KiwiGS View Post
                  It is wet and cold here not flash at all.
                  cheers
                  I thought you guys standing upside down on the other side of the planet would be entering your summer as us Brits go in to the cold dark gloom.

I hope you have a better summer than the crappy stuff we had to put with.

Wally
                  79 GS1000S
                  79 GS1000S (another one)
                  80 GSX750
                  80 GS550
                  80 CB650 cafe racer
                  75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
                  75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

It is summer here!
                    9 degrees c (50 f) and raining, snow on the hills is that not normal?
                    But when you live this close to the south pole you get what you get.
                    I have had a "summer" in the UK and they can be much the same.:-D

Comment

If you're putting them back in service right away, no lube on the slides.

If time until service is unknown, I generally put carbs back together with removing a coating of Sea Foam (spray or liquid). Sea Foam is basically a very light oil mixed with alcohol, so the alcohol soon evaporates and leaves behind a light anti-corrosive coating. The oil is washed away quickly when you do fire things up, and doesn't seem to ever gum up. It's safe on rubber and plastic parts.
                      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Originally posted by hampshirehog View Post
                        I thought you guys standing upside down on the other side of the planet would be entering your summer as us Brits go in to the cold dark gloom.

I hope you have a better summer than the crappy stuff we had to put with.

Wally
                        We thought that we were heading into summer too. In the last month we have had temperatures ranging from 0-25deg C. Looks like the prophets of doom and gloom regarding the planets future weather may be onto something!!
                        It's odd hearing members up there talking of taking their bikes off the road for rebuilds/maintenance when we are gearing up for some fun!!
                        :) The road to hell is paved with good intentions......................................

GS 850GN JE 894 10.5-1 pistons, Barnett Clutch, C-W 4-1, B-B MPD Ignition, Progressive suspension, Sport Demons. Sold
                        GS 850GT JE 1023 11-1 pistons. Sold
                        GS1150ES3 stock, V&H 4-1. Sold
                        GS1100GD, future resto project. Sold

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000001.jpg
                        http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000581.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by KiwiGS View Post
                          It is summer here!
                          9 degrees c (50 f) and raining, snow on the hills is that not normal?
                          But when you live this close to the south pole you get what you get.
                          I have had a "summer" in the UK and they can be much the same.:-D
                          Dude that's a depressing summer! 50 f degrees is my winter and I love it like that

Comment

Working...
                          X