1st Ride 82 GS1100E

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1st Ride 82 GS1100E

I rode my bike for the first time yesterday! What a ride! Over the winter I have taken this thing from basket-case to (almost) road ready. As some of you know I have no rear brakes just yet. I started with no carbs so I bought a set of RS36. My settings need some help, but I have the SUDCO book to help me there.

When I throttle up, it boggs if I go too fast. Throttle up slow, and it about pulled my arms off!

I have a small oil leak to fix, need new tires, get the rear brake working and some other minor stuff and I will have a great working bike that I got for $400. It needs a paint job too. My friend was stationed in 'Vegas when he rode it and the gas tank looks almost orange.

Re: 1st Ride 82 GS1100E

Originally posted by RedGS1100
    When I throttle up, it boggs if I go too fast. Throttle up slow, and it about pulled my arms off!
    Congratulations! sounds like you're a little rich, try dropping the needles a slot

Comment

I have a '79 GS550L, and am looking for a book which can explain what the Haynes manual doesn't about carbs & tuning. Would you recommend the Sudco book for this?

Michael

Comment

You might want to see if the carbs have acceleration pumps...33mm smoothbores don't so when you whack open the throttle there is a slight lag then all of a sudden it hits the power. It is best to do smooth roll-ons with smoothbores.

Hap

Comment

RED
          Hap Call and Dave O know absolutely nothing about 1982 GS100Es

See Haps website
          Latest news coverage, email, free stock quotes, live scores and video are just the beginning. Discover more every day at Yahoo!

See Daves website
          Discover the latest breaking news in the U.S. and around the world — politics, weather, entertainment, lifestyle, finance, sports and much more.

Comment

carbs

The manuals you are referring to have little help with tuning carbs. If you have a CV carb, try the DynoJet method. For Mikuni carbs, the Sudco is sufficient.

I have RS36 Mikuni's on mine. I need to buy the jets that the Sudco book recommends for my application. I dont think other carb manuals have all the recommended settings for just about each and every application like the Sudco book manual.

Comment

Quiet Scotty, you scoundrel!!! I am trying to lead him to the dark side! He will be drawn to the power of the dark side, yes he will!!!

Hap
              (Insert evil laugh here)

Comment

Originally posted by Hap Call
                Quiet Scotty, you scoundrel!!! I am trying to lead him to the dark side! He will be drawn to the power of the dark side, yes he will!!!

Hap
                (Insert evil laugh here)
                HAP VADER

Comment

Working...
                X