Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seat Cover Replacement - A Pictorial Guide

Greetings friends,

I've just installed a new Travelcade Saddleskin seatcover on my bike and documented it on my little BikeCliff website. I hope someone finds it useful.

Always your humble servant.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Nice job as usual Cliff.

Travelcade seat cover looks to be nicer than the B&H I recently picked up for one of my bikes. Enjoy.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
      Nice job as usual Cliff.
      Ditto. Very nice job. I won't have to worry about getting foam on the wifes floor however. I sweep and mop around our house.

Comment

Very nice tutorial. I can add a tip that would have made the job a bit easier. Heating the cover with a blow dryer will make it much more pliable. The heat will allow it to stretch more so it is easier to install. When I installed my Sargent seat cover it would have been a real wrestling match to get it installed without heating it. After CAREFULLY heating it up installation was a snap.

Thanks,
        Joe
        IBA# 24077
        '15 BMW R1200GS Adventure
        '07 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
        '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

Comment

Great!

That was a really good job, Cliff (and very timely as I'm due for a new seat cover).

Also, you did a wonderful job on your website.\\/
          1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

Another nice job, Cliff, but here's a suggestion you may want to incorporate into the text. With regard to removing the "speedclips" it may be best to simply take a snipper and snip through the clips in one or two places so that you don't stress the plastic studs trying to get them off. Speedclips are easy to get at the hardware store, so sacrificing the old ones and replacing them is not generally a big deal. It's sure easier than trying to repair the damage after you've broken off one or more studs!

Also, Joe's suggestion about heating up the cover before stretching it over the foam not only makes the job easier but in many cases will help the vinyl conform better as it cools and eliminate any minor wrinkling that might show up once the cover is installed. You might have some success in eliminating residual wrinkling by using heat now and doing a little stretching/tugging to work them out.

Let us know if this helps -- again, great job!

Regards,

Comment

Solid advice

Thank you, my friends, for all the suggestions. I'll incorporate them in my next edit. It always takes me two or three updates in incorporate all the necessary useful information.

BassCliff

Comment

Your humble servant

Thank you all. I've incorporated your suggestions, fixed a couple of misspelled words, and resampled from the original so that my text on the pictures is more readable. Thanks for your help.

BassCliff

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Nardy View Post
                  Heating the cover with a blow dryer will make it much more pliable.
                  A blow dryer is a great garage tool to make anything that's rubber or plastic more pliable. Unfortunately my wife disagrees and wakes me up to get it if it's not in the bathroom in the morning :-D ("It's behind the parts bikes under the blender next to the turkey baster.")

Comment

Working...
                  X