oil leak? whats it called?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

oil leak? whats it called?

alright my 650 has a oil leak on the back side of the motor. Under the carbs there is something bolted to the jugs. Does anyone know what that is called? Or what its for? Thanks in advance
    ~Scott

Cam chain tensioner.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
      Cam chain tensioner.
      Right (of course). The cam chain tensioner puts tension on the cam chain so that it doesn't come off the cam sprockets etc. It adjusts automatically. You can pull it off and replace the gasket if its leaking.

Comment

Originally posted by mark View Post
        Right (of course). The cam chain tensioner puts tension on the cam chain so that it doesn't come off the cam sprockets etc. It adjusts automatically. You can pull it off and replace the gasket if its leaking.
        $3 gasket. But usually you have to remove the carbs to get to it.
        1980 Gs550e....Not stock... :)

Comment

Might be just the gasket, might also be the o-rings in the tensioner itself.

Brian Wringer has an excellent pictorial on how to repair it. \\/

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

cool thanks everyone. Yeah the carbs are off the bike, thats how i noticed it was leaking. well thanks again.
            ~Scott

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
              Might be just the gasket, might also be the o-rings in the tensioner itself.

Brian Wringer has an excellent pictorial on how to repair it. \\/

Steve, thanks for the link. I've been waiting for that to pop up again (lazy) so that I could print it off and add it to the stack of "better than factory" illustrations and explinations in the clymers book.

Comment

The small seal is the part that invariably leaks the most, but the small o-ring is also usually leaking a bit. You have to replace the large o-ring when you disassemble the tensioner, but it's normally not leaking.

Every GS needs this at some point!
                1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Alright thanks again, also great write-up. That is going to come in handy when i get all the seals and such.
                  ~Scott

Comment

Also make sure it's not coming from the front of the engine and running in between the cylinders to the rear.
                    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Working...
                    X