Whats this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Whats this?

When I bought the bike I thought it was just gas leaking out of the carbs that caused this mess. any other thoughts? could it be oil? if so from where?

another pic
    Last edited by Guest; 11-13-2007, 12:45 PM.

Comment

after reading the oil leak whats it called? thread. Is this the same thing going on?

Comment

Very likely coming from the Cam Chain Tensioner.
        sigpic2002 KLR650 Ugly but fun!
        2001 KLR650 too pretty to get dirty

Life is a balancing act, enjoy every day, "later" will come sooner than you think. Denying yourself joy now betting you will have health and money to enjoy life later is a bad bet.

Where I've been Riding

Comment

Here is a link to an excellent tutorial: Cam Chain Tensioner Repair

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

If you're sure that it is an oil leak my opinion should be ignored. However, I think that it looks more like a fuel/gas stain; perhaps from a slow leak in the carb-bowls or pet-cock or fuel line or tank. The fact that the paint on the starter cover has partially dissolved sorta supports my opinion.

One of my GS750s chronically develops such stain because the tank leaks if I fill it all the way up. (I know.....I need to fix it. But I rarely ride that particular machine.)

Comment

The best clue for your question is the color of the stain. If you've peeled enough carbs apart, that color is obvious...it is fuel. As mentioned by dtkid, the paint stripped from the starter cover would happen from fuel and not from oil / grease (actually oil / grease is a great preservative for painted surfaces on engines / trans and frame rails). Often the first place I look when starting a resto project to determine the exact original color of a vehicle. Just my thoughts... :?

It does look as though your cam tensioner is leaking as well.
              Last edited by Dave8338; 11-13-2007, 02:30 PM.

Comment

I agree with Dave and DTkid, the yellowish tinge is fuel. A bit of gas leak from one or more of the carbs.

When I first rebuilt my XS I had a fuel overflow issue (leaky petcock) which caused my left carb to leak when sitting. The engine case where it dripped started going yellow.

As you have the carbs off I'm thinking you are going to do do a clean and rebuild. If so have a close look at the float valve components as this is often the source of fuel leaking from carbs if the vlave doesn't close properly.

Let us know what you find.

Good luck and cheers,
                Spyug.

Comment

by the time I got the bike no question of leak. Thats what I thought it was no question. when I saw the other thread I thought different and thought I had both problems because my chain thing is covered as well.

Comment

Working...
                  X