Exhaust question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Exhaust question

So my bike stock has the dual exhaust, well i like the look of the 4 into 1 exhaust. So i am tempted to buy one in the near future, but if i am going to put aftermarket exhaust even with the stock air box and filter I am going to have to rejet the carbs, correct? And if I am going to go that far would it be a better idea to get the pods and the stage 3 jet kit? I was looking at the jet kits and all they have for my 650 is the stage 3. So if i were to just put a aftermarket exhaust with a stock air filter and box if I remember right the site still called for a stage 1 or stage 2 jet kit which they dont make. So I am in a pickle, if someone whats to give my some imput that would be great.
    ~Scott

If it was me, I would keep it stock except for the 4 into 1 and slight
    adjustments to the carbs. When I bought my 81 on Ebay the guy told
    the it was adjusted right , but its way too rich. I work on my carbs in my
    spare time and its takeing quite a while to get them right. If you go with
    the Pod filters from what I have heard once you get it jetted right you will
    get a little more horsepower but your gas miliege will suffer a lot. With gas
    at $3 a gallon, to me its not worth it. With the stock air box you can
    just shim the needles, adjust the pilots, and maybe change the mains if you need to, and thats worst case.You may get away with stock mains.
    The only Pod filters I would consider are K and Ns. Those are expensive. Not worth the time or money IMO.

Comment

if you do get the 4into1 all you'll need as far as i know is the stage one kit from DJ...but you may not even need that. If you're looking at a V&H header, email em, they're very helpfull and are quick to respond.

Comment

Originally posted by 80-81, GS 1100 View Post
        just shim the needles, adjust the pilots, and maybe change the mains if you need to, and thats worst case.You may get away with stock mains.
        The only Pod filters I would consider are K and Ns. Those are expensive. Not worth the time or money IMO.
        Good advice...IMHO

Comment

Originally posted by 80-81, GS 1100 View Post

Thanks thats what i wanted to hear. For the needles, where could i get the shims? When you say adjust the pilots, what do you mean? they are just a jet arent they?

Comment

You can make them a bit richer on the pilot screws at the front of the carbs.

The shims are basically very thin washers.

Bike bandit or flatout do Mikuni jets.

Dan
            1980 GS1000G - Sold
            1978 GS1000E - Finished!
            1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
            1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
            2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
            1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
            2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

With a Vance and Hines 4-1 pipe or similar and with the stock airbox I'd start with 117.5 mains and have 115s ready if they are rich. If you can't get the idle mixture screws to effect the idle go up to 45 pilot jets. You shouldn't have to mess with the needle but if you have a stumble you'll have to raise (richen) the needle by getting some washers from Radio Shack and remove the top plastic spacer on the needle. Build the washers to the same heighth as the spacer and remove one or two until you lose the stumble.
              And also good luck with the airbox. After a few times on and off you should be ready for the K&N pods and the Dynojet stage 3 kit. :-D
              1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
              1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

On my 1100 I was able to shim the needles without removing the
                airbox or carbs. Had my 14 year old daughter help me (small hands).
                With the stock airbox and filter, I would try to get everything else
                perfect before touching the mains and leave the airbox on if I could.
                But your bike may not be as easy to work on as mine......
                Yes, adjust the pilot screws by turning them out in half turn
                increments IMO but make sure they are even first. I don't know
                where to find the right shims for your bike, Z1 sent me the wrong ones.
                I have been shimming mine with parts left by sellers...

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
                  With a Vance and Hines 4-1 pipe or similar and with the stock airbox I'd start with 117.5 mains and have 115s ready if they are rich. If you can't get the idle mixture screws to effect the idle go up to 45 pilot jets. You shouldn't have to mess with the needle but if you have a stumble you'll have to raise (richen) the needle by getting some washers from Radio Shack and remove the top plastic spacer on the needle. Build the washers to the same heighth as the spacer and remove one or two until you lose the stumble.
                  And also good luck with the airbox. After a few times on and off you should be ready for the K&N pods and the Dynojet stage 3 kit. :-D

so Chef would you say that i should just go with the k&n's with stage 3 jet kit?

Comment

You'll get some arguments here but that's what I would do. (Did)

The jetting was a pita enough without having to wrestle that darn airbox.
                    But the choice is yours. Some people say that the lower end is somewhat lost with these mods but if you get it dialed it correctly that won't be a problem.
                    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.

Comment

and if you actually do feel like you lose some low end...get a bigger sprocket mwhahahaha :twisted:

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
                        and if you actually do feel like you lose some low end...get a bigger sprocket mwhahahaha :twisted:
                        Actually I went from a 40 tooth rear to a 42. 8-[

Comment

I dont even know whats on mine for sure...i think its a 45..its frickin huge and i wind out real quick on the highway...but even with my sick carbs i was killin boyracers thru third gear...i am prolly going back to the stock 41 soon 'cause riding surface streets to work durring rush hour takes me an hour.

Comment

Well if i am goin to have to do a bunch of rejetting just to put exhaust on, I may as well go with the pods. I guess we will see in a few weeks as to what parts i start buyin. thanks again
                            ~Scott

Comment

Working...
                            X