broommmm brooommm bleughhhh

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Still got problems.

Pulled the plugs out and after only 30miles they are really badly sooty black which is either overrich or poor ignition.

The points STILL have the firework display going between then which cannot be normal. So, it may be that I need to check they aren't touching the back plate and everything is wired together in there.

What are the "spacers " Herco ?? the little washers on the points where the lead and condenser attached ?Both sets of points are pretty new (i.e. replaced during this problem).

Madoc

Comment

The spacers are small washer like objects made out of a non-conductive material. If the condensor leads touch anything grounded, you will have problems. My 79 Gs 750e ran like crap until I (Thanks to Earlfor), cleaned and set the points to .014. I used a simple test light and connected it to the positive side of the battery. I then touched the condensor lead and the test light activated. It was grounded. When I cleaned the terminals I put the lead on the inside of the non-conductive washer, big mistake. Switched them around and it runs great again. I'm not great at explaining it because I don't know the techinical tems. I hope this helps.

Dave W.
      Mount Joy Pa.

Comment

this sounds suspiciously like my problem, doesn't it ???

I am away this weekend but I'll get right on it next week.

thanks a bunch

Comment

rewired the condensers the same as my other GS850 and the problem is solved.

ANy ideas why the plugs are so sooty from merely 30 off miles running (and an awful lot of idling though) ???

Bit of a misfire still as well ... but I hope that's the plugs.

Madoc

Comment

My Gs 750e ran terrible until I replaced the condensors, cleaned and reset the points. I had to clean my plugs about every 100 miles or so until I did that. It now runs great (knock wood) You gotta have a good spark.

Glad you got it running better though.

Dave W.
            Mount Joy Pa.

Comment

Working...
            X