Zx-10

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Zx-10

I am thinking of buying this bike to fix up and ride. Even though its not a GS can anyone tell me the pros and cons of this bike? I know it has a lot of miles, what should I look, listen for when I go see it? Also, what should I expect to buy for it? My friend has had one that went 100,000 miles and his seemed very reliable. Just wondering what I might end up putting back into it after I buy it. Here is the link:

I guess not to many people like kawasaki's over here. lol
    I will never sell my GS though, if that gives any comfort.

Comment

I'm a lover of all bikes. I don't know much about Kawa's but I do know that the engine's don't tend to last long. And that bit of knowledge I gained was from some people on Kawa boards! I think 50,000 mi is just too much. Unless you're cool with a rebuild sometime in the near future. Another thing I learned, generally those bikes are used and abused. They're usually treated like sh!t and ran until dead, or "killed" as I would put it. And there's a reason that the plastic is usually gone. Can you say A la dropped? One last IMPORTANT lesson I've learned from buying a sport bike. NEVER NEVER drive more than an hour to buy it. You'll waste time and gas and will get down. The bike I was gonna buy looked 100X better than that one in pics but when I went to pick it up it was horrible. That thing was fvcked. When you get there problems are all of sudden gonna arise like the tranny won't shift and the guy will try and pass it off as a clutch or something stupid like that. Plus don't ever believe them when they tell you where the oil leak is coming from.... Lastly really really analyze the bike. Think about the initial price. And then think about how much it'll cost in the end. You might realize that you'll come out in the negative even if you get the bike for free

Comment

pshaw!! Old Kaws NEVER die...thats the motto...aside from the fact they dont use roller bearings..the over all output is generally the same as a GS...id take a KZ over a honda any day thats for sure. yeah hondas are "More reliable" why? cos they dont build them for FUN and EXCITEMENT...they build them for reliability. They've struggled in racing for a long while. Zooks and Dukes and even Kaws have laid waste to them untill recently. But back in the day they were the machines to beat. Till Kaw fired off the z1 900...basicly saying EAT IT HONDA...and dusting the crap out of them.

Comment

Originally posted by paintmann111 View Post
          I am thinking of buying this bike to fix up and ride. Even though its not a GS can anyone tell me the pros and cons of this bike? I know it has a lot of miles, what should I look, listen for when I go see it? Also, what should I expect to buy for it? My friend has had one that went 100,000 miles and his seemed very reliable. Just wondering what I might end up putting back into it after I buy it. Here is the link:

http://nh.craigslist.org/mcy/477410436.html
          Which generation ZX10 are you talking about? They made Ninja 1000's 86-87, than they made the ZX10 '88-'90. and now they have the ZX10R.....

I owned a 1990 ZX10, fantastic bike! Very fast for the year, but very heavy for the year also. The biggest downfall of those ZX10's was the skinny 160/70-18" rear tire. Too much hp for the rear tire to handle. Made agressively riding a bit of a challenge if you had a rocket wrist..... Beginning in 1990 Kawi used a 180-17 on the ZX11's. Replacement bodywork is VERY EXPENSIVE, so be wary of a "needs cosmetics" type sale. The engines are bullit proof. The last issue was the composite cooling fan. If you got stuck in traffic on a hot day, the brutal engine heat would warp the fan, cause the fan blade to distort and jam on the mount bracket and overheat your engine. Muzzy still makes an aluminum cooling fan for most of the older ZX Kawis. Good luck,

Comment

hrmm. Interesting response guys. I was also looking at a 1994 katana 600 with 17,000 miles for $800. Might just have to stick with the suzuki's this time. I eventually want a zx-10, but I guess I will pass on this one.

Comment

Working...
            X