Mystery Screw

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mystery Screw

I got a good scare over the weekend when I pulled the clutch cover for the first time. When the cover came off, a little set screw fell from somewhere and landed on the ground. I looked all around, and couldn't find anywhere that this little thing might belong. The screw looks like an M4 cone point set screw, and the bike is a 1980 GS850GLT.

My theory is that the screw had fallen down behind a non-sealing area of the cover, perhaps from some PO's carb work, and then fell from some little niche on the side of the engine when I pulled the cover. But I want to play it safe. Is there anything behind the clutch cover that might need such a screw?

Thanks in advance.
    Dogma
    --
    O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
    '80 GS850 GLT
    '80 GS1000 GT
    '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Nope, no little screws here.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Each carburettor has an actuating lever that fixes to the choke actuating shaft, that runs behind and through all the carburetors, that has a small cone shaped screw with a single slot and no head. Maybe this is it?

Comment

That sounds exactly like the screw. And since it doesn't appear anywhere in the clutch parts list, I think I can conclude that's it. Now I need to make sure all my carbs are choking together.

Thanks gang. I knew I could count on you.
        Dogma
        --
        O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
        '80 GS850 GLT
        '80 GS1000 GT
        '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Working...
        X