Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Protruding pilot jet screws??????

OK Gang, let me know what you think.

I just completed a complete carb rebuild on my 1978 GS 1000.
    When installing the pilot jet screw (not the air screw) I noticed that the tips of the jet screws protrude into the bore of the carburetor when set home. This doesn’t concern me. What does concern me is when I turn them out 1 turn each some of the tips disappear and some of the tips continue protruding into the bore. I understand that things can’t be perfect and I understand that these screws need to be further adjusted for fine-tuning. I’m just wondering since the pilot jet screws do not screw in uniformly how does this effect the air fuel mixture at idle.

Thanks

Roman.

Re: Protruding pilot jet screws??????

Originally posted by Roman
    OK Gang, let me know what you think.

I just completed a complete carb rebuild on my 1978 GS 1000.
    When installing the pilot jet screw (not the air screw) I noticed that the tips of the jet screws protrude into the bore of the carburetor when set home. This doesn’t concern me. What does concern me is when I turn them out 1 turn each some of the tips disappear and some of the tips continue protruding into the bore. I understand that things can’t be perfect and I understand that these screws need to be further adjusted for fine-tuning. I’m just wondering since the pilot jet screws do not screw in uniformly how does this effect the air fuel mixture at idle.

Thanks

Roman.
    Hopefully I'm not the bearer of bad news, but you may want to remove the screws insuring the small point on the screw did not break off when you installed them.
    My .02 worth.
    Dan

Comment

Re: Protruding pilot jet screws??????

Hopefully I'm not the bearer of bad news, but you may want to remove the screws insuring the small point on the screw did not break off when you installed them.
      My .02 worth.
      Dan[/quote]

Thanks for the reply Dan
      The points are all OK. The tips of my figures can vouch for that.

Roman

Comment

The pilots in my '79 1000 carbs do the same thing. In fact, when I compared them to each other, they were all a little different in length. From the factory,they were also adjusted out differently from each other. Example:1, 1 1/4, 1, 1 1/8. When I re-set mine (as close as possible) I can feel 2 of them protrude into the carb throat and 2 don't. They are very precision and just an 1/8 of a turn will effect plug color. The reason the factory did not set them all the same is because each individual intake/cylinder is not EXACTLY the same. So they are the fine tuning part. Turn out to richen,in to lean. When seating them, do it LIGHTLY. KK.
        And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
        Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Originally posted by KEITH KRAUSE
          The pilots in my '79 1000 carbs do the same thing. In fact, when I compared them to each other, they were all a little different in length. From the factory,they were also adjusted out differently from each other. Example:1, 1 1/4, 1, 1 1/8. When I re-set mine (as close as possible) I can feel 2 of them protrude into the carb throat and 2 don't. They are very precision and just an 1/8 of a turn will effect plug color. The reason the factory did not set them all the same is because each individual intake/cylinder is not EXACTLY the same. So they are the fine tuning part. Turn out to richen,in to lean. When seating them, do it LIGHTLY. KK.
          Thank you for the info. This has made me feel comfortable with my situation. It’s nice to know that my bike isn’t all messed up.

Thanks again
          Roman.

Comment

Working...
          X