Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which is the top of intake boot?

Hi,
    I have just started refitting my intake boots on the GS1000G and noticed that they can obviously go on two ways. Which is the correct way, the thicker part towards the bottom or the top? I can kick myself in that I did not notice it on removal.
    Thanks!

If you've got screws for attaching a carb balancer these should point diagonally down and towards the outside of the bike.

Wally
    79 GS1000S
    79 GS1000S (another one)
    80 GSX750
    80 GS550
    80 CB650 cafe racer
    75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
    75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Originally posted by Matchless View Post
      Hi,
      I have just started refitting my intake boots on the GS1000G and noticed that they can obviously go on two ways. Which is the correct way, the thicker part towards the bottom or the top? I can kick myself in that I did not notice it on removal.
      Thanks!
      I am looking at my brothers GS1000G and the thicker part is definitely at the bottom. see picture

(the screws for balancing are not part of the intake boot on a GS1000)

GS1000G

Comment

So far I have found that two boots are marked with an "R" and the other two with an "L" under the clamp. I can only assume that "L" is for #1 and #2 and "R" is for #3 and #4
        Unfortunately the screws for the balancer are not in the rubber boots.

waltfen, Thanks yes it looks as if the thicker part is at the bottom. I would think that the result should lead to the carbs being horizontal if you put a spirit level on them, and not at an angle? Nice bike your brother has! And good taste as well!

I have not seen this discussed, even in the boot o-ring replacement threads it never seems to be an issue! Just my luck. My wife has said I should leave the bike for a while and it will sort itself out! Maybe she knows.....
        Last edited by Guest; 11-14-2007, 04:12 PM.

Comment

If they're like the GS 1100 E, the #'s face straight up, & "L" is left, 1 & 2 & "R" is right, 3 & 4. I don't remember thick or thin.
          1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

L boots go on 1&2, R boots go on 3&4.
            If you lay the boot on a flat surface you will notice they are angled (a long side and a shorter side)
            The longer side goes on top when you mount it to the head so that the boot opening ends up almost perpendicular to the ground (as opposed to the angle of the head).

Sent from my iPhone

Comment

The L and R markings should be on top:

The photo is a GS850 boot, so there's a sync port, but the L and R markings still go on top.

If you did bolt them on wrong, it would become very obvious that the angles are wrong.
              1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
              2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
              2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
              Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Thanks for all the info, the boots are on. I wonder why the L and R markings are hidden under the clamp on mine? The markings are also not right at a bolt hole but somewhere in between the holes. Bwringers picture shows on the 850 it quite close to a bolt hole.
                Again thanks for coming in on this one.

Comment

I pulled the carbs and turned the boots around to get the R & L markings at the top as stated by bwringer. On my boots these are nearly in the center between the two mounting holes. The thicker part of the boot is now at the bottom. What bothers me now is that in the other position where the boots were turned 180 degrees, the rubber flange on the carb side was perpendicular with the ground if I used a spirit level, which I assumed would be correct.
                  Now they are pointing a bit upwards. If I put the spirit level on the top of the carbs they show that the carbs are about 1/2 inch higher at the back and not horizontal.
                  It was also a bit more difficult to get the airbox on and it seems to push the carbs down a bit.

Can this be right? Remember this is a GS1000G and something may be different to others? By the way the carbs and boots are still original, in perfect condition, and I am getting quite good at pulling them!
                  Last edited by Guest; 11-15-2007, 12:17 PM.

Comment

I pulled the carbs and turned the boots around to get the R & L markings at the top a shown by bwringer. On my boots these are nearly in the center between the two mounting holes. The thicker part of the boot is now at the bottom. What bothers me now is that in the other position where the boots were turned 180 degrees, the rubber flange on the carb side was perpendicular with the ground level if I used a spirit level, which i assumed would be correct.
                    Now they are pointing a bit upwards. If I put the spirit level on the top of the carbs they show that the carbs are about 1/2 inch higher at the back and not horizontal.
                    It was also a bit more difficult to get the airbox on and it seems to push the carbs down a bit.

Can this be right? Remember this is a GS1000G and something may be different to others? By the way the carbs and boots are still original, in perfect condition, and I am getting quite good at pulling them!

Comment

Yep looking at my brothers GS1000G (picture earlier) and the back of the carbs are higher than the front.
                      GS1000G

Comment

Thanks waltfen , that is the way I have it now, but with the boots turned 180 degrees, my carbs were nearly horizontal and the rubber flanges were exactly perpendicular with the ground. I have also seen two pictures of different bikes where one also shows the carbs as higher at the back and another where the carbs are more level!!
                        Logic tells me that w.r.t. fuel level etc the float bowls should theoretically be level and not angled??
                        Hopefully some more info will be forthcoming?

Comment

My brothers only had his bike about 2 months and in that time he hasn't taken it apart and it runs beautiful. I would imagine that it would run poorly if the carbs had been fitted incorrectly.
                          GS1000G

Comment

Thanks to all, intake rubber boots now have thicker side more towards the bottom and the R & L markings are sort of higher more towards the top. The rubber flanges are not perpendicular to the ground, but at an angle and the bike runs well.

Another adjustment that does not get much of a mention in the forums is the float backstop. This is the tab on the clamp that holds the needle seat in place, that provides a backstop when the float is at its lowest level. Mine were at various different settings. I bent them all to the same angle so that they catch the float securely when the float bowl is empty. One tip was bent back so far it hardly touched the end of the metal part of the float. It could have given cause to the float sticking on empty and then overflowing.

Comment

Working...
                            X