radial tires-original rims?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

radial tires-original rims?

Can anyone tell me why radial tires cannot be used on original 1985 GS700 aluminum rims? Just wondering.

The GS rims are not wide enough to properly mount radials

Comment

OH! Guess that pretty well sums it up huh? Thanks for the info.

Comment

Hmmm... I have Metzeler ME33 Lasers on the front, ME88 Marathons on the rear, of a 1979 GS750E, aluminum mag wheels. Can't your b-ply tire measurations be translated to a radial tire? Or does it have to do with the bead flange?

Comment

Radial tires have shorter sidewalls, so the wheels have to be wider to compensate. The size ratings are the same as bias.
          Dee Durant '83 750es (Overly molested...) '88 gl1500 (Yep, a wing...)

Comment

Originally posted by kingofvenus View Post
            Radial tires have shorter sidewalls, so the wheels have to be wider to compensate. The size ratings are the same as bias.
            I wasn't aware of that, but it makes sense. Thanks.

Comment

Bikes aren't like cars, where you can sometimes cram on a different size tire and sometimes get a benefit.

You might be able to manage to stuff some sort of radial on a GS rim, but the rim would be far too narrow for the tire, the profile would be all wrong and the bike would end up handling like crap. For the best handling, spoon on a set of Pirelli Sport Demons or Avon RoadRiders in the correct sizes. Many here also swear by Metzelers and other tire brands. Take your pick...

My VX800 happens to take tire sizes that are readily available in radials or bias ply. I haven't tried mine with bias ply tires yet, but radials are significantly lighter, which has to be good.
              1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
              2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
              2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
              Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Yeah!

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
                Bikes aren't like cars, where you can sometimes cram on a different size tire and sometimes get a benefit.

You might be able to manage to stuff some sort of radial on a GS rim, but the rim would be far too narrow for the tire, the profile would be all wrong and the bike would end up handling like crap. For the best handling, spoon on a set of Pirelli Sport Demons or Avon RoadRiders in the correct sizes. Many here also swear by Metzelers and other tire brands. Take your pick...

My VX800 happens to take tire sizes that are readily available in radials or bias ply. I haven't tried mine with bias ply tires yet, but radials are significantly lighter, which has to be good.
                I think this information is all exactly right. It seems like all the tire websites that offer information, say that radial tires should never be mounted on a bike that wasn't designed for radial tires.
                1980 GS1100E, the latest of many.

Comment

Is there a difference in the rim bead area between bias ply rims and radial rims? Just wondering.

Comment

Originally posted by ericzx7 View Post
                    Is there a difference in the rim bead area between bias ply rims and radial rims? Just wondering.
                    No difference that I'm aware of.
                    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Working...
                    X