Petcock/fuel delivery problems, '85 GS550ES

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Petcock/fuel delivery problems, '85 GS550ES

Well, the carbs seem to be straightened out. I used a bit of line and a funnel to put fuel into the carbs. This worked well enough for me to diagnose and clean the carbs until I was happy with them. Now, there is no fuel....
    This bike sat for 5 years or so before I got my hands on it. The fuel tank was full of sludge and nastiness when I got it. It also had quite a bit of rust in it. I have removed some of the rust, but a new tank will be in order if I get this thing running and like it. I have an in line fuel filter ready and waiting. So, right now I am getting no fuel into the carbs. The bike does not have a stock petcock on it. It had a three position petcock, all unlabeled, of course. Does this bike typically have a prime setting, like the manual says it should? If so, I should be able to get fuel into the carbs on any setting if I am trying to get the bike to turn over, correct?
    How do I go about testing the petcock to see if it is the issue? If it is the issue, what can be done to repair it or does it need to be replaced? Anyone got one? Thanks, y'all....

Originally posted by Jbeaber View Post
    Well, the carbs seem to be straightened out. I used a bit of line and a funnel to put fuel into the carbs. This worked well enough for me to diagnose and clean the carbs until I was happy with them. Now, there is no fuel....
    This bike sat for 5 years or so before I got my hands on it. The fuel tank was full of sludge and nastiness when I got it. It also had quite a bit of rust in it. I have removed some of the rust, but a new tank will be in order if I get this thing running and like it. I have an in line fuel filter ready and waiting. So, right now I am getting no fuel into the carbs. The bike does not have a stock petcock on it. It had a three position petcock, all unlabeled, of course. Does this bike typically have a prime setting, like the manual says it should? If so, I should be able to get fuel into the carbs on any setting if I am trying to get the bike to turn over, correct?
    How do I go about testing the petcock to see if it is the issue? If it is the issue, what can be done to repair it or does it need to be replaced? Anyone got one? Thanks, y'all....
    DId you pull the petcock?? If it was as nasty as you say the filter will prolly need cleaned (it has a filter attached..or should have anyway) And stock, if its a vacuum operated one like most are there will be two lines running to it...the fuel line, and the vac line (the little one) Positions on my 750s petcock, which is stock, is, staring at the petcock like a clock...3 oclock prime 6 oclock on, 9 oclock reserve. Youll need to prime to get fuel flowing IF your petcock is functioning properly...i would suggest getting some clear fuel line...that would help to see if you in fact have some fuel flowing...theres been a time or two where ive had to give a lil squeeze to the fuel line in the prime position to get the fuel going if theres an airbubble trapped. And if you use that inline filter...i would suggest you get it as straight up and down in relation to the carbs as possible so you dont get a bubble going in it. Just my experience.

Comment

I did pull the petcock when I was working on the tank. The petcock has the tall plastic filter that the stock was has (from pictures).This petcock has positions at 12, 3 and 6 and no labels. I like the idea of the clear line. I have some that should do the trick.
      How do you clean the interior of the petcock? I am thinking that there may be varnish or other crap inside the petcock.

Comment

Originally posted by Jbeaber View Post
        I did pull the petcock when I was working on the tank. The petcock has the tall plastic filter that the stock was has (from pictures).This petcock has positions at 12, 3 and 6 and no labels. I like the idea of the clear line. I have some that should do the trick.
        How do you clean the interior of the petcock? I am thinking that there may be varnish or other crap inside the petcock.
        Rebuild kit....Order one from www.z1enterprises.com when you get it, take your petcock apart and clean it out with some carb cleaner or something of the like. I soaked one from my XS in Berrymans carb dip...worked great. NO RUBBER OR PLASTIC in that dip, or its done for. So just the metal parts and then use your rebuild kit. Warning tho, alot of people say that the rebuild kits dont work very well, no matter where you get them from. Ive personally never had a problem with one yet, but im only 2 for 2 on that. You may save yourself a headache and get a Pingel if your stocker is totally buggered. But they are expensive. Z1 has a couple that are about half the price, never used one, so i couldnt tell you how good they are.

Comment

oi i just answered that....look up!

Comment

The manual doesn't give much advice about taking the petcock apart. Is it straight forward? Obviously it has to be completely taken apart before I can soak anything, gaskets and the tall plastic filter. Any advice, suggestions or cheap used petcocks would be appreciated

Comment

Petcock is dead simple to take to bits. Everything only goes in one way on reassembly so as long as you don't force things to fit it's a doddle.

Wally
              79 GS1000S
              79 GS1000S (another one)
              80 GSX750
              80 GS550
              80 CB650 cafe racer
              75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
              75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

The petcock is in ugly condition. The plastic screen that extends into the fuel tank is coming apart. I tried to take it apart a bit to examine the inner workings. I got the first four screws off and the knob off, but that's where I got stuck. i think I am best off just replacing the whole thing. Does anyone know a good place to find a decent petcock is? I looked on the z1enterprises website and can't figure out which one I need for a GS550ES... Help?

Comment

I got mine from bikebandit:

Can't help with Z1 though...I couldn't figure out if they even stock a petcock there. Probably just have to give them a call. Their over-the-phone customer service is really good.

Comment

If you can't get a stock p'cock then you can get a generic manual type like a Pingle for under $20 or so from Dennis Kirk, Bikebandit or even through your local bike shop.

The idea of putting on clear hose is good but you should also spend a buck or two and put an inline fuel filter between the tank and carbs since your tank will be passing some minute rust scale which can plug your jets.

Obviously rusty tanks are not good so a change would be in order or at the very least it should be cleaned and sealed. There is lots of info on this and a few recent posts. I have just done mine with the epoxy kit from www.caswellplating.com it worked very well and unlike POR-15 and Kreeme it is made to go right over rust.

Let us know how it goes for you.

Cheers,
                    Spyug

Comment

After my comments above, I was noodling around on my other forum ( XS 650 Garage) and one of the members there was having the same issues as yourself and someone posted this:

That was what I was referring to.

Hope this helps.
                      Spyug

Comment

Is it just me or does it look like there is no vacuum attachment on that petcock? I think I might just buy a new stocker. No modification, perfect condition. A bit more than I want to spend, but I would rather spend the money once and be done with it, loving the new ride

Comment

Working...
                        X