Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS850 Electronic ignition?

I have a 1979 GS850 with points.

Would the forum advise a change to electronic ignition?

What is involved?

Best product?

I will be sourcing the ignition from the USA, are they compatible?

Any potential disasters I need to avoid?

Thanks, as always.

Bozza

You're points ignition in good working order can work very well.

But a lot of folks, myself included, have gone to the Dyna S ignition. Easy to install, and at least in my case a big improvement. You also get automotive style plug wires that you can replace without having to replace the entire coil or digging out wires.

In order to go with the Dyna S you will have to either get new 5 ohm coils or put in a ballast to compensate for the 3 ohm coils that came on your bike in stock form. I'd go with both the ignition and coils, but that's just me

Here's where I bought mine. Good prices as well. $120 for the ignition, and $120 for the coils.

Z1 Enterprises specializes in quality Motorcycle parts for Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki and Yamaha Classic Japanese motorcycles from the 1970's and 1980's.
    Last edited by Guest; 11-15-2007, 03:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mark View Post
      You're points ignition in good worling order can work very well.

But a lot of folks, myself included, have gone to the Dyna S ignition. Easy to install, and at least in my case a big improvement. You also get automotive style plug wires that you can replace without having to replace the entire coil or digging out wires.

In order to go with the Dyna S you will have to either get new 5 ohm coils or put in a ballast to compensate for the 3 ohm coils that came on your bike in stock form. I'd go with both the ignition and coils, but that's just me

Here's where I bought mine. Good prices as well. $120 for the ignition, and $120 for the coils.

http://www.z1enterprises.com/
      I went with the Boyer Bransden MP Digital Unit. New coils are supplied in the kit. Good instructions and easy to install. The MP fits neatly between the frame tubes under the tank.
      There is a marked improvement over points, especially in the mid range rpm. Advance is all in at 4500rpm instead of 2500rpm with the mechanical advance setup.
      The other advantage is you can custom your MP to your preferred advance curve and range. Price is similar to what Mark has quoted on the Dyna S.
      Pull up BB on Google for distributors in your area.
      The road to hell is paved with good intentions......................................

GS 850GN JE 894 10.5-1 pistons, Barnett Clutch, C-W 4-1, B-B MPD Ignition, Progressive suspension, Sport Demons. Sold
      GS 850GT JE 1023 11-1 pistons. Sold
      GS1150ES3 stock, V&H 4-1. Sold
      GS1100GD, future resto project. Sold

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000001.jpg
      http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000581.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by 49er View Post
        I went with the Boyer Bransden MP Digital Unit. New coils are supplied in the kit. Good instructions and easy to install. The MP fits neatly between the frame tubes under the tank.
        There is a marked improvement over points, especially in the mid range rpm. Advance is all in at 4500rpm instead of 2500rpm with the mechanical advance setup.
        The other advantage is you can custom your MP to your preferred advance curve and range. Price is similar to what Mark has quoted on the Dyna S.
        Pull up BB on Google for distributors in your area.
        That's pretty cool....never heard of that ignition before.

I checked it out, just because I was curious. Here's the link to their website.

Boyer Bransden, Electronics, Electronic Ignition

Comment

Originally posted by mark View Post
          I installed a Dyna S system in my '79 850 in 1987, but I did not replace the coils. I just took out the points and put in the Dyna S. It's been working perfectly ever since. It eliminated the points bounce which made it hard to set the ignition timing.

I have to respectfully disagree with Mark, however. The 1987 instructions said the Dyna S "is designed to operate with stock coils, however, it may be used with other coils that have at least THREE OHMS primary resistance."

I checked on Dynatek's website and it appears the current Dyna S product for '79 GS 850s (p/n DS3-2) still requires a MINIMUM of 3 ohms resistance in the coils. I think the OEM coils would be OK, based on what I've read.

See http://www.dynaonline.com/english/in.../DS3-1_3-2.pdf

Tomcat
          Last edited by Guest; 11-15-2007, 11:47 PM. Reason: Correcting the content.

Comment

Originally posted by tomcat24551 View Post
            I installed a Dyna S system in my '79 850 in 1987, but I did not replace the coils. I just took out the points and put in the Dyna S. It's been working perfectly ever since. It eliminated the points bounce which made it hard to set the ignition timing.

I have to respectfully disagree with Mark, however. The 1987 instructions said the Dyna S "is designed to operate with stock coils, however, it may be used with other coils that have at least THREE OHMS primary resistance."

I checked on Dynatek's website and it appears the current Dyna S product for '79 GS 850s (p/n DS3-2) would still prefer the 3 ohm stock coils.
            See http://www.dynaonline.com/english/in.../DS3-1_3-2.pdf

Tomcat
            Sure, but if you get the 5ohm system, and add a ballast you can upgrade to 5 ohm coils later. The 5 ohm system in other words give you more flexibility with aftermarket coils.

The 5 ohm system works fine on a '79 with 5 ohm coils.
            Last edited by Guest; 11-15-2007, 11:46 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X