Opinion Poll - Carb Re-build Kits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BS34 Carbs

I have what I think is a 79 GS400 (having a tough time id'ing it). It has Mikuni BS34 carbs I believe. Where would I get gaskets? I have dealt with MikesXS with my Yammy xs650s and the carbs are BS34s on the Yammys too.

Has anyone used the gasket kits from MikeSX on their GS400?

Thanks

DJ

Comment

I've used the K&L kits with good luck. I only used the float valve, float seat, gaskets, pilot jet plug and o-rings. They are incomplete and I have used Mr. Barr's o-rings on several occasions.
      1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
      1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

The only bad part is that OEM Suzi only sells needles and seats as a unit. You simply can't buy just the needle. At 20 something a pop it gets expensive.

I wonder if that is my dad's problem... I threw in four needles from the partsnmore kits because his factory needle springs had rusted in the stuck out position.

My bike, however, runs strong so I was going to compare my needles to his aftermarkets to see if there is a difference... I should be doing this in the next few weeks to see if I can measure a spring tension difference.

Comment

"O" rings

All I ever change is the "O" rings...except the first time, I changed the jets because the last guy used a kit and put in the wrong size jets.
          1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

Originally posted by 82Shafty View Post
            The only bad part is that OEM Suzi only sells needles and seats as a unit. You simply can't buy just the needle. At 20 something a pop it gets expensive.

I wonder if that is my dad's problem... I threw in four needles from the partsnmore kits because his factory needle springs had rusted in the stuck out position.

My bike, however, runs strong so I was going to compare my needles to his aftermarkets to see if there is a difference... I should be doing this in the next few weeks to see if I can measure a spring tension difference.

I just wanted to do a follow up with my findings.

OEM needles and seats are well worth the money; there is a huge difference between OEM and aftermarket needles.

After new needles and seats and new RB o-rings, the bike screams.

I was so impressed I just tore down my carbs to install another RB o-ring kit.

Comment

Originally posted by 82Shafty View Post
              I just wanted to do a follow up with my findings.

OEM needles and seats are well worth the money; there is a huge difference between OEM and aftermarket needles.

After new needles and seats and new RB o-rings, the bike screams.

I was so impressed I just tore down my carbs to install another RB o-ring kit.
              Hey great timing to resurrect this thread!

I've got my RB o-rings, and I was planning the job for this month, but the bike's been running reliably enough that I'm planning to replace my OE shocks first. We'll see how much time I have - but I'll try the o-ring kit first, and if the cleaning/rebuild doesn't improve my mid-range response I'll look at some new OEM needles and seats.

Comment

Originally posted by Roostabunny View Post
                Hey great timing to resurrect this thread!

I've got my RB o-rings, and I was planning the job for this month, but the bike's been running reliably enough that I'm planning to replace my OE shocks first. We'll see how much time I have - but I'll try the o-ring kit first, and if the cleaning/rebuild doesn't improve my mid-range response I'll look at some new OEM needles and seats.
                Two years ago, I did the carb spray rebuild (no dip) and installed aftermarket fuel control needles into the stock seat. Well the spring was weak in the aftermarket needles so I had Road Rash cough up the hundred bucks for new OEM needles and seats, I dipped the carbs in the process, installed the little rubber pilot jet plugs and the RB o-ring kit.

I threw the rack on my bike to make sure they work, synch'd and will re-sync on his bike, but man they perform awesome.

Seeing that I had both racks of carbs off and after comparing how tight the tubes were on the rebuilt carbs compared to mine, I figured I already have mine off I might as well rebuild them.

I contacted RB and will pick up another quality kit from him and install it on my rack. I also ordered new pilot plugs and new pilot jets... The so-called BMW mickey mouse mechanic that went through the carbs 9 years ago with the PO chewed the crap out of the pilot jet heads (ones under the little rubber plug)... yes they still function but I don't care for mutilated parts in my carbs; they were 20 bucks for four through Suzi dealer. I figured if I ever do this again down the road, I want to be able to properly disassemble the carbs. I also plan to do a quick 30 min dip on my carbs to freshen them up a tad.

On my carbs, they ran and performed great, but a little preventative maintenance goes a long way, especially seeing how easy it was on my dad's carbs, I just couldn't pass up doing it again. I'm on a roll.

K2 had previously mentioned the mid-range could be dialed in with varying float heights. You may want to try that before dropping 100 bucks on oem needles and seats.

Comment

Working...
                X