Is my clutch slipping?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is my clutch slipping?

My clutch engages fine from a standstill or once underway at rpm's under 5000 rpm. However, when I occasionally snap the throttle over 6000 rpm, the engine carburates cleanly and revs freely, but the peformace achieved at higher revs does not seem to correlate with the extra effort that the enging is putting out. Don't get me wrong, it runs great, but it just feels like the bike is holding a little more in reserve.

clutch slipping

If the clutch slipps you should see the engine rev very high, but not see that much change in your speed. If you think it might be slipping adjust the linkage for the clutch a couple of turns. See if that helps, be careful not to over adjust it, as then putting and taking it out of gear will be a pain!

Good Luck

Comment

If the revs go up by not much speed increae, yes it is slipping. It may be a tuning problem up high that is giving less urge. Make sure the clutch has enough freeplay in case the clutch is not fully engaging

Comment

If a clutch is slipping, it is not dependent on the RPM range....it slips under load due to torque. If you can engage the clutch at low RPM and then open the throttle without noticing the same results you feel at higher RPMs, you need to look elsewhere.
        Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

I was having my clutch slip just when I shifted in high rpms. For me when I shifted, I would loose power but my rpms would remain high, until I backed off the gas, and let the clutch grab, then I could take off again. At higher rpm, the engine is pushing more HP, and is most likely where you'll notice the problem first.

Comment

I noticed that when I did high rpm shifts the clutch would slip. I installed Barnett springs, no problems now. The pull is a little heavier, but the only one it bugs is my wife, and she has her own bike anyways! :twisted:
            Kevin
            E-Bay: gsmcyclenut
            "Communism doesn't work because people like to own stuff." Frank Zappa

1978 GS750(x2 "projects"), 1983 GS1100ED (slowly becoming a parts bike), 1982 GS1100EZ,
            Now joined the 21st century, 2013 Yamaha XTZ1200 Super Tenere.

Comment

Carmen it sounds like a worn out clutch. if you have it adjusted properly.

Comment

Originally posted by slopoke
                My vote goes to worn clutch plates. But, it may be a slightly frayed or dry cable not allowing for full engagement.
                Dan

Comment

Originally posted by moto_dan
                  Originally posted by slopoke
                  My vote goes to worn clutch plates. But, it may be a slightly frayed or dry cable not allowing for full engagement.
                  Dan
                  Are you insinuating that Carmens bike may be all dried up??

Comment

It sounds like the clutch is slipping. I had a similar problem: The bike ran fine, but whenever I gave it some juice the tachometer would jump up a couple of thousands without the bike speeding up. One or two seconds later the needle would drop to a lower rpm and the bike would pick up speed.
                    Anyway, I replaced the plates and springs with new ones and the problem was solved.
                    good luck.

Comment

Thanks for the great advice guys.

Comment

Working...
                      X