Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS550 valve seal replacement

Hi,

Just a quick question. I am going to be replacing the valve seal on my bike and I don't want to take the head off. A buddy of mine said I can put rope down in the cylinder and bring the piston up to hold the valves in place? Has anyone done this? Is this a safe alternative to using compressed air or removing the head?

Thanks

I haven't done it myself, but have heard of quite a few folks doing it, seems to work fine by all accounts.

The other way is to make up an adapter by breaking the porcelain out of an old spark plug, and making it into an adapter to take a compressed air line. Then with the piston at BDC, put 100psi into the cylinder. With that kind of pressure, there's no way a valve is going to drop while you change the seals.

All the best.

Comment

My opinion only, but there is a good chance you will make at least a little mess (metal and dirt.) there is a lot of plumbing in the head. Just better to take it off.

Also, 1 more thing - how are you going to compress the valve springs? Is there a tool that fits on these bikes without removing the head??

This forum contains old posts which may have information which may be useful. It is a closed forum in that you can not post here any longer. Please post your questions in the other technical forums.
      Yamaha fz1 2007

Comment

It can be done either way - rope or compressed air (never tried the latter but heard of its successful use). There is a chance of bending / snapping things though so I now always remove the head. That way I can check the valve seating and clean everything up at the same time.

Wally
        79 GS1000S
        79 GS1000S (another one)
        80 GSX750
        80 GS550
        80 CB650 cafe racer
        75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
        75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Originally posted by tfb View Post
          The other way is to make up an adapter by breaking the porcelain out of an old spark plug, and making it into an adapter to take a compressed air line.
          Have you done this? I tried to do this once and couldn't get out the porcelain inside the outer metal ring. Then I bought an adapter for under $10.

Comment

Originally posted by p_s View Post
            I tried to do this once and couldn't get out the porcelain inside the outer metal ring.
            I tried too, same result.
            http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Have you done this?
              I have done this, twice in fact. It's a pig of a job, I must admit. I began by breaking off as much of the porcelain as I could. Then I mounted the remainder of the spark plug in a vice, and took a drill with a suitable diameter masonry bit. Then it was all over bar the shouting. :-D

Comment

Take the head off and do it right.

Valve Job
                1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Working...
                X