Float bowl gaskets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Float bowl gaskets

I rebuilt the carbs on my '76 GS 750 about 2 years ago. At the time I couldn't find a gasket set as they were discontinued, so I cut my own gaskets. I used a red spray-on gasket sealant. There is now fuel leaking from the left two bowls (kick stand side). I took the gaskets out and there is no sign of the original red gasket sealant. It must have been dissolved by the fuel. Can anyone suggest a better gasket material (I used regular gasket paper) or a different sealant that would not be dissolved by fuel. Thanks.

If you're going to make your own gaskets you need to ensure that it is fuel resistant paper. However, as you've already found it's a right pain and fiddly and living on your side of the water you could do worse than buy some from:

Z1 Enterprises specializes in quality Motorcycle parts for Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki and Yamaha Classic Japanese motorcycles from the 1970's and 1980's.

Cheers
    Wally
    79 GS1000S
    79 GS1000S (another one)
    80 GSX750
    80 GS550
    80 CB650 cafe racer
    75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
    75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Does fuel resistant paper still need to be used with a gasket sealant?

Comment

I usually make my carb gaskets ('cos I never think in advance and can't wait for the postie) but they are cheap. Ask at your local car spares for paper that won't leak fuel (and make sure that you're talking to somebody who knows what he is on about, not the usual Halfords teenager) rather than paper that won't be rotted by fuel.

I would never use gasket sealant on carbs - when you tighten up you might squeeze some into the float bowl, where there isn't a lot of room, and jam the float. Or a bit might break off and block a jet. Or, as you've found, it might dissolve.

Wally
        79 GS1000S
        79 GS1000S (another one)
        80 GSX750
        80 GS550
        80 CB650 cafe racer
        75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
        75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

You should make sure the float needles and seats are not leaking. It doesn't take long for aftermarket parts to fail or for that matter even work in the first place. Or make sure the petcock is not leaking. I will no longer use aftermarket parts in my carbs. I will buy kits for O rings and gaskets but I never use the hard parts in the kits. My two cents.

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony View Post
            Does fuel resistant paper still need to be used with a gasket sealant?
            Don't seal them, just makes it impossible next time. They don't leak, there's no pressure as the bowls are vented, and the gasket is above the level of the gas as it sits in there. I reuse them forever and they don't leak unless they get torn or cut.
            http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Ditto

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
              Don't seal them, just makes it impossible next time. They don't leak, there's no pressure as the bowls are vented, and the gasket is above the level of the gas as it sits in there. I reuse them forever and they don't leak unless they get torn or cut.
              My thoughts, exactly!
              1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

A little tip from my professional wrench. Smear both sides of the gasket with a little axle grease rather than sealant. It keeps the paper pliable and reuseable and is not affected by gas.

You can use this technique on most any gasket other than head gaskets and other high heat applications.

Give it a whirl.
                Cheers,
                spyug

Comment

Originally posted by spyug View Post
                  A little tip from my professional wrench. Smear both sides of the gasket with a little axle grease rather than sealant. It keeps the paper pliable and reuseable and is not affected by gas.

You can use this technique on most any gasket other than head gaskets and other high heat applications.

Give it a whirl.
                  Cheers,
                  spyug
                  I think that's good advice. Also, regular motor oil will do the trick.
                  1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

Originally posted by walt View Post
                    You should make sure the float needles and seats are not leaking. It doesn't take long for aftermarket parts to fail or for that matter even work in the first place. Or make sure the petcock is not leaking. I will no longer use aftermarket parts in my carbs. I will buy kits for O rings and gaskets but I never use the hard parts in the kits. My two cents.
                    The carb "rebuild" was more of a good cleaning. I only replaced the o-rings and the gaskets. I also realize that the gaskets sit above the fuel level when the bike is sitting level. However it's only when the bike is leaning on the kickstand when the gaskets leak. I'm going to go pick up some fuel resistant gasket paper (will cork paper do the trick?) and use that axle grease/oil trick. Thanks for the help.

Comment

They are available from a dealer. Part # 13251-43010. They're about $5.00 each

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony View Post
                        The carb "rebuild" was more of a good cleaning. I only replaced the o-rings and the gaskets. I also realize that the gaskets sit above the fuel level when the bike is sitting level. However it's only when the bike is leaning on the kickstand when the gaskets leak. I'm going to go pick up some fuel resistant gasket paper (will cork paper do the trick?) and use that axle grease/oil trick. Thanks for the help.
                        why not just get the correct gaskets?? Z1 sells the whole set and i think i paid 12 bucks maybe?? You have more patience than i perhaps...lol

Comment

Working...
                        X