ARRRGG! Somebody knocked mike bike over yesterday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ARRRGG! Somebody knocked mike bike over yesterday

They picked it back up (thanks alot) but it broke off my bar end, along with scratching the hell out of the fairing .
    For a while now I've been thinking of slowly turning my ES into an E then into a street fighter. At this point I don't have the dough for changing up the front end or the swing arm/shock, but I think I'm going to take off the fairing's and at least make it a naked, especially since it's so ugly now. Which brings me to my question, since I do have the full fairing will I need a bracket to hold on the speedo/tach assembly or is it being held on already independent of the fairing? Also the same question for the headlight. Are they going to be sticking out all funny or is it going to be the same as the E model? I would also like the change the handle bars, currently it's got the somewhat high clipons and I think they are going to have to go. Specificly to either some nice straight bars or some lower clipons, I've also got to find a place to put the mirrors now. What will I need to convert it to a tube style handle bar? I'm guessing some work needs to be done to the upper triple to change the attachment points.
    If anyone has any experience with this little changover I would apreciate any advice. My main concerns are that since this is my only vehicle I can't just take it apart then wait a month for my parts to arrive, and it's got to be done on the cheap. At least until I can find that GSXR 1100 frontend and the bandit swinger :twisted:. BTW, are there any other possibly cooler swingarms that can go in without too much work? I really like the way the newer GSXR swingers look with all the bracing and whatnot but I'm worried about the shock linkage and how it would all fit together.
    Some many questions, so little $$$

If it's like my 700, and I think it is, the instuments are separate from the fairing. You will need new bracket for the headlight. My mirrors are on the bar, not the fairing. Don't know about the rest.

Comment

damn, and I mistyped the title, LOL!

Comment

So does anyone know where to get the brackets? Or how about below the triple clamp type clip ons? are they a pain in the as$ or what?

Comment

OldSchoolGS has clipons, on his 83 750, he's going to send me a picture of them, as I've been interested in trying them out. So it should work, but am not sure of the 'pain in the as$' quanity.

Comment

The E style mounts for the gauges should already be part of the upper triple clamp. The two loops (ears, whatever) on either side of the bottom of the ignition switch (Mine even has the rubber grommets in them). I haven't looked if the current gauge bracket will work with those loops or not but you should be able tell easy enough.
            The headlight will need the E style bracket or actually I think it uses the ears that go on the fork tubes between the triple tree clamps.
            And then you need the headlight bucket also as the ES models don't have one.
            I think all these parts are still available from Suzuki but doubt they'll be cheap. E-bay may be the way to go.

Comment

you may want to think twice about "going naked." It's not a very pretty sight:

Comment

Originally posted by mattdez
                you may want to think twice about "going naked." It's not a very pretty sight:
                But you didn't finish.
                Take a look here. These are the same bike http://karl.zellner.com/
                Started off as an EF now it's an E.

Comment

I used the stock ears and mounted a round headlight bucket in them. I also mounted the signal lights on the stock ears. The fairing and headlight are in a box. I used the split black plastic tubing to cover all the wires and hoses, this cleans up the look a lot. It looks pretty good as I put a street fighter windscreen on the bike. Without close inspection you couldn't notice the ears are not the proper ones.

Comment

Clone,
                    Do you have any pictures of your setup? are the ears that you are refering to already on the stock ES forks? How about the headlight bucket? is that still stock or did you have to get a different headlight assembly?

Thanks

Mookie

Comment

do you want to get rid of your old fairing??? check airtech they claim to have all sorts of mtng brkts custom and stock

Comment

I was hoping to end up with something looking like a Ducati Monster, with the single headlight and little windscreen, then eventually put a nice racey USD frontend and then a fat swinger with a nice wide tire. Then maybe find a smaller rear subframe and stick it on. Then the finishing touch, a custom, handbeaten aluminum tank from this guy: http://www.thetankshop.com/. (I like the style he makes for the Guzzi's)
                        Ah yes that should about do it. Oh wait, forgot I would have to get a nice Penske rear shock too!

I've honestly never done anything custom to any vehicle, well, that didn't involve duct tape but if I can ever scrape up enough money I could at least get started. I've found a spare rolling chassis but that's about as far as I've made it. I can dream can't I?

Comment

Working...
                        X