Side Stand switch ? for GS450

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Side Stand switch ? for GS450

I have a 1983 GS450L that has a side stand switch. I have a couple questions.

(1) I can't figure out where the spring for the switch attaches to on the side stand. I assume the switch is engaged (on) when the side stand is down, however, I can't find a location that extends the spring (and switch) when the stand is down.

(2) The light is remaining on regardless of whether the switch is connected or not, so the circuit is connected independent of the switch circuit. Just wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience.

thanks

Evidently your switch is a bit different than mine. I found a switch that mounted to my wife's '82 850L, but can not get it to work correctly. It works differently than your description of your switch. Mine is pushed when the side stand is up, not pulled when it's down. And, it seems to be wired backwards, as whenever I connect the wires, the light is on when the stand is up and goes off when the stand is down. :shock:

Based on your description, your switch almost sounds like the rear brake switch.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

That is the sharpest, highest-quality close-up of a hunk of rusty, obscure metal that I have ever seen. :shock:

The sheer detail is amazing... what kind of camera do you have?

Sorry, didn't mean to threadjack, but that photo really is striking.
      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

'83 GS450L side switch

Yeah, the side switch on mine is similar to the brake switch. When the spring is extended, the switch makes contact, so I assume the spring is supposed to be extended when the stand is down. According to the wiring diagram, it looks like the circuit is also connected to the neutral gear indicator, so I don't know if the side stand light is affected by whether the bike is in neutral or in gear. I would like to find an owner's manual to a 1983 GS450L as it appears the '83 is different than earlier models.

ddbuffalo
        Last edited by Guest; 11-20-2007, 12:23 PM.

Comment

side stand switch problem solved

I believe that I solved the wiring problem with the side stand switch. I found an ground wire not connected in the headlight bucket. The light now comes on when I complete the circuit. Just have to figure how to connect the side stand indicator spring and I should be in business.

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
            ... what kind of camera do you have?
            It's a Canon Power Shot S3 IS.

Had it about a year, now. Nice camera. 6 mega-pixel. Uses alkaline penlight batteries or rechargeables, not the expensive propiretary batteries. Can be used as a point-and-shoot for quick shots, but has many options for the experienced photographer. Has a 12x optical zoom, then adds a 4x digital zoom. \\/ Macro mode is rather phenomenal, the SUPER macro mode is even better. In this picture, the camera lens is almost touching the coin. :shock: (picture is un-retouched or cropped in any way.)

Camera is even good enough to make my kitty cat look good.

sigpic
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

Steve...in a word, WOW. That will be my next digi cam. The Kodak (junk for short) has given me nothing but problems from day one. After the wife dropped it, I should have thrown it in the trash!

Comment

Originally posted by Dave8338 View Post
                Steve...in a word, WOW. That will be my next digi cam.
                By the time you get around to getting one, they might already be obsolete. :shock:

The S3 is still available for $230 +shipping . Price has come down from the $279 I paid a year ago.

I have already seen the S5 model out. It is an 8 mega-pixel camera, still has the 12x zoom, has a larger 2.5" screen, face recognition software and a hot-shoe for external flash.

The S5 can also be found for $230 +shipping , but Radio Shack apparently has it for $499, so shop carefully.

By the way, both cameras also have a respectable movie mode. You can shoot video at 640x480 resolution at 30 frames per second, which isn't bad at all. Camera will handle about any size SD memory card, but limits videos to 1 GB at a time. Even with a normal speed card, write time for the file is only about 2 seconds, so you don't miss much if you have to extend your shooting time.

sigpic
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride

Comment

Working...
                X