Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Center Stand/Let the questions begin!

Good evening Folks!

I got my new bike home this week (85 GS1150E) and have put a few miles on it.
    Seems to run good after a good carb sync and adjustment.
    Now to sort out some of the minor issues.
    The previous owner told me the center stand was broken...took it off tonight and it was a mess! Not sure what has happened to it, but it was cracked all to pieces. Looked like stress cracks to me...but not sure WHY????
    Not much stress on that piece especially in the up mode? anyway...I straightened it all up and welded all the cracks. Feels OK, but would really like to find a replacement. IS this a common occurance???? LThe stand does seem to be made of a fairly light tubing.

There are sever other small things...the seat/helmet holder doesn't work with the key...Looks like it can be taken apart, so maybe it's repairable.
    One of the head pipes to mufflers is missing the packing material...and one of them has a broken off bolt in the clamp.
    Just lots of little repairs...

Now...Stator/rectifier/regulator question.
    The bike seems to be charging properly, but with all the issues I've read about these items...would I be ahead of the game to go ahead and just replace them with the updated ones??? I bought this bike to RIDE...and make some longer trips...can't imagine it being fun to be on the side of the road at night with a dead battery!!!

Thanks....
    ED

Originally posted by hcritz View Post
    Good evening Folks!

The previous owner told me the center stand was broken...took it off tonight and it was a mess! Not sure what has happened to it, but it was cracked all to pieces. Looked like stress cracks to me...but not sure WHY????
    Not much stress on that piece especially in the up mode? anyway...I straightened it all up and welded all the cracks. Feels OK, but would really like to find a replacement. IS this a common occurance???? LThe stand does seem to be made of a fairly light tubing.

There are sever other small things...the seat/helmet holder doesn't work with the key...Looks like it can be taken apart, so maybe it's repairable.
    One of the head pipes to mufflers is missing the packing material...and one of them has a broken off bolt in the clamp.

The bike seems to be charging properly, but with all the issues I've read about these items...would I be ahead of the game to go ahead and just replace them with the updated ones??? I bought this bike to RIDE...and make some longer trips...can't imagine it being fun to be on the side of the road at night with a dead battery!!!

Thanks....
    ED
    Center stand, never heard of it on a GS, a replacement should be easy to find on Ebay or here...

Clean all the grounds, check the wiring and connectors, they don't all crap out.
    Mine have never failed, but I keep the electricals clean.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

I suspect most of them get taken off right away!
      I'll clean all the electricals as a matter of course...

Comment

So.............?

What advice are you looking for....exactly:shock:????
        1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

Hey Chucky...
          Whether the stands are typically all cracked up from vibration or has something unusual happend to this one???

ALso whether to just junk the stator/rec/reg and get one of the updated ones.

Comment

I'd say to replace the R/R and leave the stator. Make sure to run a ground directly from the R/R to the battery.
            Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Center stand

That sounds like a very odd problem to have with a center stand. Mine is solid steel and I can't imagine how it could develop stress cracks. Yours must be completely different.

As far as the key is concerned, I'm guessing that someone may have put a different ignition on it (new key) and that's why it won't work for the seat and helmet holder. It must work for the gas cap, right?
              Last edited by chuckycheese; 11-20-2007, 11:59 AM.
              1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

Good evening Folks!

Thanks....
                ED
                Ed, find out if the center stand is the same as an early 80's GS850. If it is, let me know and I'll scrounge one up out of the pile. I should have 2 or 3. We'll figure shipping and you can toss in an extra 5er.

Comment

Thanks Paulyboy!
                  Not sure if they are the same??? but I'll see if I can find out.
                  I would like to get on in better shape...I'm a pretty decent welder, but I like to use the stand and would hate for the bike to hit the pavement because of one of my welds failing! I do like a center stand to do service...sure makes lubing the chain or changing a tire a lot easier.

My center stand is made from very thin steel tubing (about like electrical conduit)...it's actually very light...nothing like the monster that's on my CB750K...that thing would hold up a tank! It's not easy to remove either...they installed the bolts from the outside...BEFORE the exhaust was installed! I had to unbolt the mufflers and push them down a bit to get the bolts out.

I think I will order one of the Electro rec/regs just to be safe...I hope to make some longer rides on this bike.

The Key issue with the helmet/seat release is like something broken in the mechanism...the key fits and turns, but doesn't opperate the cable or the helmet lock
                  It looks like you can take it apart...so maybe I can repair whatever is wrong inside.

I just wondered if these were common problems with these particular bikes.

Comment

I'm the guy that won the truckload of GS850 parts auction on ebay. Therefore, everything I'm going to offer comes from those bikes. When we were in the junkyard, we got a couple off of bikes that were in great shape. Plus, I came home with 2 rolling frames in the truck.
                    Last edited by Guest; 11-20-2007, 01:30 PM.

Comment

Sounds Great!
                      Maybe someone here on the Forum will know if they will fit???
                      I can take some picts and send them if that would help...
                      And thanks!!! Nice to know there are folks here willing to help out!
                      I'm on the single overhead cam Honda site and the folks there are great to help out with parts and info.

Comment

Before you go spending money on a new stator or regulator, invest a little money in a voltmeter. Find out what shape your system is in before you go shotgunning it. :shock:

sigpic
                        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                        Family Portrait
                        Siblings and Spouses
                        Mom's first ride
                        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Hey Steve...
                          Got my camera dryed out...it got rained on! I'll post some picts of the center stand and see if it looks like something you might have!

Comment

Hey Steve...
                            I've already poked aroudn with a VOM...voltages look good...about 13.8 at idle and 14+ as the revs come up. Bike has always been stored inside and all the connections look clean, but I'll probably pull the grounds, wire brush and di-electric them.
                            I've just read so much about stator/reg/rec failures. I don't want to be stranded...I'm hoping to make some extended trips on this bike.
                            $100 bucks for a new rec/reg is a lot cheaper than a night or two in a hotel and a fried stator!
                            Wish they had gone the route Honda did with the old 750s...a true excited rotor alternator that you can regulate the output.

Comment

I think I will order one of the Electro rec/regs just to be safe...I hope to make some longer rides on this bike.
                              There has been some concern regarding the quality of the Electrosport products in the past couple years. The company was bought and some people feel quality may have suffered. Rick's is a good choice.

Thanks,
                              Joe
                              IBA# 24077
                              '15 BMW R1200GS Adventure
                              '07 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
                              '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

Comment

Working...
                              X