No announcement yet.

Top ten things

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Keep the "GS 1000 E" a "GS 1000 E". Keep the original looks, A monoshocl & upsidedown forks will make it a custom bike, & make it look like a custom bike. If that's what you want, let someone have the old GS 1000 to keep it a GS 1000, & build somekind of custom. Can you tell??? I really hate to see old GS's butchered. You have a CBR for a modern bike, keep the GS for a classic. It's amazing, the looks & comments you will get from a 25 or 30 year old slick original GS.
    1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Here's what I did to mine:

K&N filters
      Dynojet stage 3
      Vance & Hines Megaphone
      Dyna coils and wires
      Dyna S ignition
      New clutch plates, fibers, and heavy duty springs
      Lockhart oil cooler with braided lines
      VDO oil pressure gauge
      VDO oil temperature gauge
      Progressive springs
      Daytona fork Brace
      Russell braided brake lines
      Drilled rotors
      Rebuilt calipers and master cylinders
      Pirelli Sport Demons
      New wheel bearings
      Mostly all new cables
      New bearings for swing arm and steering head
      Sylvania Silver Star headlight
      Aluminum short stalk signals
      Bar end weights
      Allen heads almost everywhere
      Braided hoses all over
      Lots of NOS stuff (whatever I could find)
      Lots of polishing

Still to come: powder coated GS1100 aluminum swing arm.

That will keep you busy for a while!
      85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
      79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

Originally posted by rphillips View Post
        Keep the "GS 1000 E" a "GS 1000 E". Keep the original looks, A monoshocl & upsidedown forks will make it a custom bike, & make it look like a custom bike. If that's what you want, let someone have the old GS 1000 to keep it a GS 1000, & build somekind of custom. Can you tell??? I really hate to see old GS's butchered. You have a CBR for a modern bike, keep the GS for a classic. It's amazing, the looks & comments you will get from a 25 or 30 year old slick original GS.
        Exactly. I hate too see 'em cut up too. :-|

Renobruce and I seem to be working off the exact same list. I must be on the right track. :-D

By far, the most useful upgrades were to the front end. Even a stock GS has plenty of go, but not near enough whoa. :-D
        1. Progressive fork springs. (The single best purchase by far as many here can attest)
        2. 20 wt fork oil.
        3. Lower "Superbike style" handlebars. (Helps to get your body weight over those new springs)
        4. Larger brake rotors.
        5. Kawasaki dual piston front calipers
        6. Master cylinder with a 14mm bore.
        7. Galfer SS brake lines.
        8. My big clunky "80's" fork brace. (not shown)
        9. GS1100 aluminum swingarm
        10. 18" rear wheel
        11. K&N Pods, jetting
        12. R.C. 4 in 1 pipe with a modified baffle.
        13. Heavy duty clutch.
        14. All the other normal maintenance stuff I can't remember, like bearings, cables, levers, tires, seals, etc.
        Last edited by Guest; 11-22-2007, 02:41 PM.

Comment

If it's a nice looking complete bike:
          Best suspension you can find.
          Better brakes.
          Best tires available.
          Brighter headlight.
          Modern ignition.
          Redo the seat.
          Think about what you want to do power-wise. Stock engines running perfectly go pretty good. The perfectly part eludes most.

If it's old and ratty and missing pieces:
          Cafe it, chop it, race it, make it a big dirt bike, streetfighter, whatever your heart desires.

I like to fuel inject everything, but that's just me.
          http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

I'm restoring a 80 GS1000S (GS1000530920) and suggest keep it simple:

- GSX1100 alminmium swing arm (fits straight in)
            - Koni folk springs and rear shocks Honda CB900 (Ikon as they are known now)
            - OE 15/42 spockets
            - EBC floating 3014 disks with FA38/36 Front/Rear pads

Also, if you powder coat the wheels black they look great. Check out the following 4 part UK Classic Bike mag Sep-Dec 2007 issues(www.classicbike.co.uk) for a full GS1000 step-by-step rebuild.

Cheers and good luck ...

-----------------------
            78 GS1000E
            80 GS1000S

Comment

Mine gives me plenty of smiles just like this.
              NO PIC THANKS TO FOTO BUCKET FOR BEING RIDICULOUS

Current Rides: 1980 Suzuki GS1000ET, 2009 Yamaha FZ1, 1983 Honda CB1100F, 2006 H-D Fatboy
              Previous Rides: 1972 Yamaha DS7, 1977 Yamaha RD400D, '79 RD400F Daytona Special, '82 RD350LC, 1980 Suzuki GS1000E (sold that one), 1982 Honda CB900F, 1984 Kawasaki GPZ900R

Comment

Originally posted by 8trackmind View Post
                Exactly. I hate too see 'em cut up too. :-|

Renobruce and I seem to be working off the exact same list. I must be on the right track. :-D

By far, the most useful upgrades were to the front end. Even a stock GS has plenty of go, but not near enough whoa. :-D
                1. Progressive fork springs. (The single best purchase by far as many here can attest)
                2. 20 wt fork oil.
                3. Lower "Superbike style" handlebars. (Helps to get your body weight over those new springs)
                4. Larger brake rotors.
                5. Kawasaki dual piston front calipers
                6. Master cylinder with a 14mm bore.
                7. Galfer SS brake lines.
                8. My big clunky "80's" fork brace. (not shown)
                9. GS1100 aluminum swingarm
                10. 18" rear wheel
                11. K&N Pods, jetting
                12. R.C. 4 in 1 pipe with a modified baffle.
                13. Heavy duty clutch.
                14. All the other normal maintenance stuff I can't remember, like bearings, cables, levers, tires, seals, etc.
                8 Track -- is there a picture anywhere of your twin piston front calipers, and a description of how they were fitted. Any brackets that had to be manufactured, etc.

Cheers
                Don

Comment

Yeah me too..only i think ima stick with single..but id love to have some extra muscle up there.

Comment

Originally posted by Suzuki_Don View Post
                    8 Track -- is there a picture anywhere of your twin piston front calipers, and a description of how they were fitted. Any brackets that had to be manufactured, etc.

Cheers
                    Don
                    Yes, go here.

Comment

Small changes - upgrade the R/R, quicken your stopping power with stainless braided steel brake lines, install new coils, lighten the load a bit with a smaller gel battery, improve handling by rebuilding your forks and installing new rear shocks, get a shade more grunt with K&N pods and a Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit.

I know a lot of guys would rather keep their GS's looking classic, but from a performance perspective you can't beat a suspension and wheel swap from a newer bike. Hopefully nobody here considers what I did a hackjob. :-?

Done correctly, the handling and braking improvement is amazing.

A la Renobruce, here's some of what I did to my 80 GS1000E.

* Complete suspension swap from a GSXR. Front end is a 2004 GSXR 1000 front end, 120/70/17 tire up front. Swingarm and shock is from a 2006 GSXR 1000, rear wheel is 5.5x17" from a 2005 GSXR 750 with a 180/55/17 rear tire. Super grippy Michelin Pilot Power sportbike tires front and rear, stainless braided brake lines front and rear. Rake is set at 24.5 degrees up front, which is similar to a Yamaha FZ1. There's a lot more rubber on the ground which makes cornering much more fun and stable even at high lean angles, and the brakes are now phenomenal. The bike's a lot more fun to ride, and it's about 80 pounds lighter than stock wet.

* 520 chain conversion
                      * Battery relocation, using smaller gel battery than stock which saves weight
                      * GSXR rearsets, lighter than stock and work better, more ground clearance
                      * Pipe, pods, rejet

Still needs paint to look like the Yoshimura GS1000 racebike, and the GSXR forks may get powdercoated silver. Seat needs to be cut down. Also plan on hopping up the motor for more grunt.
                      Last edited by Guest; 12-27-2007, 09:19 PM.

Comment

I dont think I " BUTCHERED" my old GS :-D

Comment

I think its a MASTER PIECE

Comment

It is nice to see some that aren't stock!

Comment

Working...
                            X