Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I have NEVER rewired! Need help! PLEASE!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have NEVER rewired! Need help! PLEASE!

Hello everyone,

I recently bought an 81 GS850L(GL) model. It had a fairing on it. Well, I took the fairing off and now I am in serious trouble. Now I have no headlight or turn signals. I bought a new headlight and turn signals (all original stock parts). However, I have no idea how to rewire the bike to get the parts working. Can somebody please help me. I have put a lot of work into this bike and all I want is to complet it. And I can't do that until I have a headlight and turn signals! I am at whits end. HELP! (I have never rewireed. So, please make it as painless as possible.)

As usual, I want to thank everyone who responds to this!

Hi,
    If the person who originally fitted the fairing did not cut any wires then you are OK.
    1) Find the bundle of wires where the headlamp goes, these are normally pushed into the back of the headlamp. A couple of plugged cables and unconnected plugs should be hanging there.
    2) Find the headlamp plug, it will be a black female plug with 3 wires going into it. Usually a Black/White wire, White wire and a Yellow (sometimes Orange) wire. If the fairing light was properly fitted a male plug with wires extending to the fairing headlamp bulb should have been plugged into it. Unplug that extension plug and that leaves you with the plug that pushed into the bulb in the headlamp.
    3) Now find a double connector on a single Black/White wire. The earth (negative) Black/White wires from the left and right flasher should be plugged in here.
    4) Now a single Black wire with a single connector this takes the Black wire from your flasher on the left side.
    5) Now a single Light green wire with a single connector takes the Black wire from your right flasher

If any connectors were cut off by PO and extension wires soldered on to the fairing, check that these wires still exist, 3 for the headlamp and 3 for the flashers. You will then have to refit the connectors.
    I have attached a wiring diagram if it will be of use. Get it here: http://www.mediafire.com/imageview.p...dzx4zi&thumb=4
    Last edited by Guest; 11-22-2007, 06:43 AM.

Comment

I did the same thing after I got my 82 850 GL. The most important thing for me was getting a manual for it - one with color wiring diagrams is best for this job. It's also good to have a handheld multi-meter, soldering iron, heatshrink tubing, and electrical tape.

If I recall correctly, I didn't really have to do much rewiring. The Vetter fairing that was on mine used the same connectors as the stock wiring harness, so all I had to do was use the manual to determine which male connectors go to which female ones. Some of them were so obvious due to color and shape I could've done it without the diagrams. I think I had to rewire the blinkers, though.

If your fairing doesn't have the original connectors then you'll have to rewire all of it. But it's still not that bad. All you really have are high and low beam, the blinkers, and grounds. You may need your multi-meter as an ohm meter to help identify wires, check for ground, or look for shorts. The blinkers ground to the frame . I soldered, heatshrinked, and taped any new connectors I had to add, including splices.

Comment

Originally posted by nicholascott View Post
        Well, I took the fairing off and now I am in serious trouble. Now I have no headlight or turn signals. I bought a new headlight and turn signals (all original stock parts). However, I have no idea how to rewire the bike to get the parts working. Can somebody please help me. I have put a lot of work into this bike and all I want is to complet it. And I can't do that until I have a headlight and turn signals! I am at whits end. HELP! (I have never rewireed. So, please make it as painless as possible.)
        Hello Nicholas. I see others offering info that may get your parts lighting. I'll offer up that what you OUGHT to do, is slow down just a little here, get yourself a wiring diagram for your bike (perhaps you have one); do just a little reading on how lights work and what's required and perhaps enlist the aid of a local mechanic or apprentice to show you how to make good connections that are flexible and not strained. What you'll gain is far more than the joy of a silver bullet fix!

Yours is not an unusual sort of post on here actually......with many bike owners putting tools to their bikes without trying to understand what they're fixing or modifying.

Some other replies have given you specific info which may very well work for you; if so, then I still advise that you take the time to understand. (Most circuits on your bike are no more complex than a basic hand-held flashlight...)

Comment

if it's a vetter fairing go to the vetter websight and get the wiring diagram off it.It will tell you where and what the fairing wires go to. At least you will be able to match up the diagram with the original wires.

Comment

Try smokeriders.com for a full sized coloured wiring print of a 1980 glt 850 ,should help you out.

Comment

Get the book

Mr. nicholascot,

Please feel free to download the Suzuki Shop manual for your bike from my little website (link in my sig). There is a wiring diagram for the "L" model in there.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

howzthis? better?

Comment

Working...
                X