High reving choke

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

High reving choke

Hello GS Owners! :-D Got a problem with my 1979 GS1000E? The bike has been standing a while and I had problems getting it going! However that was down to a points problem, got that sorted! Now when she starts on choke it revs up to 4000rpm and if you try to shut the choke down, it cuts out! Took the carbs off to see if there was anything wrong? Placed them back on quite loose, with the airbox screws tighted, and low and behold only reved to 2000rpm! Can anybody shed any light on it, before I go mad!
    Cheers
    Retro racer \\/

Sounds like you fixed an air leak.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Thanks for that! :-D Was wondering whether to put K&N filters on the bike and ditch the air box as it is a bit akward getting the carbs on and off! Will the bike run OK with them on standard jets or will I need to get it Dyno jetted! It is only going to be used for normal roads, well as normal as can be in the UK with all the speed camera's and radar guns!
      Thanks again
      Retro Racer \\/

Comment

Going to pod filters and or aftermarket headers/pipes/mufflers will necessitate putting in bigger jets for more fuel flow. The stock carbs run to the lean side ( i.e. less fuel more air) and putting freer flowing air intake and or exhaust amplifies that. It plumb won't run right, there will be a lot of popping and backfire on deceleration (usually). You can verify this by removing the stock airbox and putting on your pods.....see what happens....its a worthwhile experience to see what a lean running ( if it will start at all) bike sounds and feels like.

You don't need to go to dynojet kits or the like but you will likely need to go up a range or two over stock. You first need to identify the stock jetting and perhaps you can get this from your manual or possibly one of the guys can provide you that. If you have a good local bike store they can likely help you as well and get you the jets you need.

Rejetting is not difficult just fiddly and time consuming but it will also give you a chance to clean the carbs. see the carb cleaning tutorial for more insight and information.

If done correctly pods, pipes and jets will wake up the old beast.

Let us know what you decide to do and how it all comes together.

Good luck.
        Spyug.

Comment

Working...
        X