I'm at a loss on this one

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm at a loss on this one

Hey everyone! I have been lurking on these boards for a few months and have been very impressed with the knowledge and information available here. I do, however, have a question for the experts. I have a 77 GS750. It has been running great. I switched the bars out to a drag bar and noticed the throttle tube was cracked and the cables were bad. I changed them out and now the bike won't start. I have compression, spark, but here is the problem. I have the left side plugs are soaking wet with fuel and the right side is bone dry and not getting any gas. I put new plugs in just before all this so they are new. Gas is flowing to all carbs too. Do any of you have any idea what the problem is?

Thanks,

Mitch

check to see that your new bar isnt allowing the throttle cable to bind anywhere, causing the throttle to hang open flooding your cylinders...im guessing your two wet ones are one and two? (left to right sitting on the bike)

Comment

yes, that is correct. I will check the cables in the morning.

Comment

Bear in mind that with a shorter bar, it can leave to much slack in the cable, causing it to bind in the sheath. You may not necessarily see it binding but you can probably feel it. I had the same problem on my 77 with clubman bars on it, only with the clutch cable.

Comment

Cyl 1&2 wet, Check for spark? Check for 12 0n coil? maybe pulled a wire loose. Otherwise it is more likley to be a carb problem esp since 1&2 are fead by different coils
          Last edited by Guest; 11-24-2007, 06:41 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by mitmoe View Post
            Hey everyone! I have been lurking on these boards for a few months and have been very impressed with the knowledge and information available here. I do, however, have a question for the experts. I have a 77 GS750. It has been running great. I switched the bars out to a drag bar and noticed the throttle tube was cracked and the cables were bad. I changed them out and now the bike won't start. I have compression, spark, but here is the problem. I have the left side plugs are soaking wet with fuel and the right side is bone dry and not getting any gas. I put new plugs in just before all this so they are new. Gas is flowing to all carbs too. Do any of you have any idea what the problem is?

Thanks,

Mitch
            Hi there Mitch. By chance, did you have the coils off or all plug wires off at the same time? Sounds suspiciously like 1-4 and 2-3 either aren't paired or that their triggering is switched. Any other history to this problem?

Comment

didn't do anything but fix the tube and change the cables. I got this bike for $450 and is in excellent shape and I rode it for the last 2 months without issue. I have not had to do anything to it except the throttle. I should have paid a grand for it!! I have not messed with it in a few days now....had family in for the holiday. I will keep you all informed on the progress. Thank you all for the help. I will post pictures soon.

Comment

Hey howdy hey!

Mr. mitmoe,

Let it be known that on this day you are cordially and formally welcomed to the GSR Forum as a Junior Member in good standing with all the rights and privileges thereof. Let it also be known that good standing can be improved with pictures (not you, your bike)! :-D

Sounds like you got a great deal on a great bike. Thanks for joining us.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
                (The unofficial GSR Greeter)

Comment

Working...
                X