Fried electrical connection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fried electrical connection

As some may know, I recently bought a 1982 GS 1100 GL with a Vetter Windjammer and hard bags. I have had the main fuse blow twice on me, so I decided to look into the wiring between the fork and fairing. I found this connection melted with bare wires. Is this connection the connection that goes to the ignition switch?

Is so, does anyone have a good connection with about 4 to 6 inches of wire they don't need?

I would look into why the connector melted before you go just replacing it.

Comment

Hi there egent. I'd safely say that it's impossible to tell what that connection may have been used for - suggest you look at the schematic for your bike and see where it ties in (using any original wiring color codes and actually tracing them to confirm. A couple of observations bear mentioning though......it appears that the vertical black wire from the poor looking soldered connection might be paired with the red wire with that *&^%$#@ fold-over tap (NEVER EVER use these - ANYWHERE if you can help it). If indeed this pair of wires is to a particular load such as lighting on the fairing, then check THAT circuit first as it might have been the source of the short circuit that melted the rest of 'er.

Comment

Originally posted by SPARKSS View Post
        Hi there egent. I'd safely say that it's impossible to tell what that connection may have been used for - suggest you look at the schematic for your bike and see where it ties in (using any original wiring color codes and actually tracing them to confirm. A couple of observations bear mentioning though......it appears that the vertical black wire from the poor looking soldered connection might be paired with the red wire with that *&^%$#@ fold-over tap (NEVER EVER use these - ANYWHERE if you can help it). If indeed this pair of wires is to a particular load such as lighting on the fairing, then check THAT circuit first as it might have been the source of the short circuit that melted the rest of 'er.
        The Red wire with the blue fold over splice is connecting to the fairing wiring harness. The black, bad solder job was going to some auxillery lights that have not worked since I bought the bike. I beleive that these are the cause of the melting and the blown fuse as it only seemed to blow when I was trying the lights with both high and low beams. But I can not say that this is the issue for sure.

Comment

By gosh Dirk, I'd bet you're closer than you imagine to the source of the problem with your good observations. Check those lights!

Comment

Yes
            It is the same set of wires to my ignition switch of my 83 GS750E, I know I just put a new/used one in off a 83 GS1100E.

Now if there is another connector up there using the SAME identical wire colors and same style then I am wrong (doubt it though).
            I know there are 1 or 2 more similar but DIFFERENT color sets.

Looks like the P/O tapped the aux lights, from the hot {acc} that runs from the ignition.
            They took a shortcut method instead of using a relay and new fuse protected ckt to run them.
            I am not going out to the garage right now, to cold LOL-
            I know either the Brown or the Red is the hot coming to ignition Switch and the other one is the switched hot..

Peace,
            Ron
            Last edited by Guest; 11-24-2007, 11:34 PM.

Comment

PO. What more can you say....

If thats th electrics what the bolts like?

Suzuki mad

Comment

Dirk,

Would a color schematic help?
                I also have one for your 82 GK.

As far as replacing that connector to the fairing: Have you conciderd if a standard trailer wiring harnes connector would suffice?

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Originally posted by Redman View Post
                  Dirk,

Would a color schematic help?
                  I also have one for your 82 GK.

As far as replacing that connector to the fairing: Have you conciderd if a standard trailer wiring harnes connector would suffice?
                  I color schematic would be great, however, I believe mine is a GL not a GK. Would that be the same schematic? All I know is that the clymer shaft drive GS manual lists them differently so I can't be sure.

No, I didn't think to use a four wire trailer harness connector, I went looking for a four wire connector last night. I was looking in the wiring area and didn't see any connections I thought would work. I never did look in the trailer parts section. Thanks for the idea.

Comment

Dirk,

Yes, I have a color schematic for 82 1100L, and can email scan of that to you. PM me and provide your email address.

Oh, I mistakenenly thought you also had a GK, must have been some other posting.

By the way, very nice photo of the wiringing connector. Nice macro close up, and totally devoid of any background.

Dave

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                    GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Originally posted by Redman View Post
                      Dirk,

Yes, I have a color schematic for 82 1100L, and can email scan of that to you. PM me and provide your email address.

Oh, I mistakenenly thought you also had a GK, must have been some other posting.

By the way, very nice photo of the wiringing connector. Nice macro close up, and totally devoid of any background.

Dave
                      Dave,

PM has been sent.

I don't believe it was your mistake, but mine.

Thanks, I put the connector on the back of a white gift box to take the picture. Also had 4x Zoom to get close.

Dirk

Comment

Working...
                      X