replacing the crank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

replacing the crank

I have finally revisted my journey to replace the crank in a 1978 GS550. I have leapt to the belief that I am bettrer of dismantalling as much as I can while the engine is still on the bike. I have the starter clutch side clear and am working on the clutch side. I have pulled the plates and springs and now face the bolt that holds in the basket.

Well the bolt is big and it looks like I am going to need to buy some large sockets. I won't revisit the task until next week end so. I am looking for any and all clutch basket removal you may have to offer.

What size is that nut anyway. I have nothing that comes close!

Yes, waiting until you have all of the horizontal bolts out before removing the engine from the frame is advised, especially the large ones, you'll have all of the leverage you need without holding another wrench somewhere else on the motor. Once the jugs are uncapped (head is off) the jugs can be removed with the motor in the frame. Splitting the case requires removal, methinks, as many bolts come up from under in tight spaces. And having more room when wielding the crank is goodness as well.

Clutch needs to be held still while that bolt is removed, don't recall what size the bolt is.

Comment

Robin,
      Replacing crank ! ?
      What in the world happend, Man?

http://webpages.charter.net/ddvrnr/GS850_1100_Emblems.jpg
      Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
      GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

https://imgur.com/YTMtgq4

Comment

Redman,

This is a bike (1978 GS550EC) I bought several years ago for 150.00. It had been sitting 14 years. When I started it the engine clatterred like nobodies business. After multiple cam chain tensioners and searching everywhere I started tearing down the engine and found a cam bearing creating all the noise. I had the good fortune of getting a seeminglygood crank from e-bay and now I am off.

Comment

Hi, The socket you need should be 32mm.

I just split the cases on an engine I got that was in a awful and abused state, the clutch was smashed the cams worn etc etc But when inspecting the crank it looked like new.

These cranks can take a lot of abuse I think only running them without oil can damage the crank.

Comment

The clutch hub nut is 32mm. Don't take off the drive chain until you break this loose. I bought an electric impact wrench to take mine on and off. The 32mm also fits the counter sprocket nut.
            Last edited by chef1366; 11-26-2007, 07:16 PM.
            1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
            1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Robin,I can get my hands on a 32mm socket and much larger if you need one.My brother-in-law is a deisel mechanic and his tools are right here in raytown.that's probably the smallest one he has!! He has some big enough to put your fist in!!

Comment

Working...
              X