Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS 650 spoke wheel conversion?

Hello again,

I do a lot of bobber projects for friends and customers and based on the GS650 that's currently on my table I think I'll start doing some work on the GS line as well. I'm pretty impressed.

Question is, has anyone done a spoke wheel conversion and how so? The specific bike I'm doing is the same 81 GS650E I've been asking a million questions about. Most of the bikes I build are more in the vintage bobber style as I HATE choppers (think 48 panhead), so spoke wheels are a must.

Also...anyone put a springer on one of these things? Any issues?

any thoughts?

Thanks

Originally posted by gunbunny119 View Post

Question is, has anyone done a spoke wheel conversion and how so? The specific bike I'm doing is the same 81 GS650E
    Both front, and rear will bolt right on with the same spacers. You do have to space the rear caliper inboard about 3mm from the bracket.

Comment

Originally posted by 8trackmind View Post
      Both front, and rear will bolt right on with the same spacers. You do have to space the rear caliper inboard about 3mm from the bracket.
      Call me ignorant, but I'm having a hard time finding any GSs with spoke wheels...They seem to all be alloy. Being new to this model, I just assumed they were all cast wheels from the late 70s.

Thanks for the pointer, I'll look around some more for some old rims.

Comment

77 and part of 78 i think were the last of spokes on the 750...may be wrong on that, but most pics i see of 78 and on are cast. I happen to have spokes on my 77 and i wont trade em for the world...i love the look.

Comment

i'd pay good money for spoke wheels , how much you want

Comment

An arm and a leg...lol...They are too hard to come by for me to part with..you might check with BHppy101..he has some spoked rims that need a couple new spokes on the rear i think he's selling.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
              77 and part of 78 i think were the last of spokes on the 750...may be wrong on that, but most pics i see of 78 and on are cast. I happen to have spokes on my 77 and i wont trade em for the world...i love the look.
              Just looking on the gallery I'm finding a few 79 examples with spokes also. I have a 650 instead of a 750 though. Any idea if these wheels play between the 650-750?

Really, all I need is the hubs and I can lace harley rims on them or something. man, I never thought I'd have such a hard time finding spoke rims...Usually people give them away once they start rusting.

Comment

Dunno bout interchange...mine are 18 in back 19 in front i think...Check Z1Enterprises...they sell rims and spokes i think for Z1900's but i bet they'd work.

Comment

Just looking on the gallery I'm finding a few 79 examples with spokes also. I have a 650 instead of a 750 though. Any idea if these wheels play between the 650-750?

Really, all I need is the hubs and I can lace harley rims on them or something. man, I never thought I'd have such a hard time finding spoke rims...Usually people give them away once they start rusting.
                  Also..check where they are from..ive noticed that overseas the spokes were sold alot longer than here...and the body change over tended to happen later depending on where in the world it was..

Comment

Front's are easy. GS450, 550, 750, 1000 with disk brakes are the same. GT500 and GT750 should work as well. Rears are harder. 77, 78, 79 GS750, 78, 79 GS1000.
                    Be aware, GS750 and GS1000 use a larger rear axle. (17mm) I'm pretty sure you will have to use the bearings and spacers from a 550/650 (14mm) on your project.
                    Last edited by Guest; 11-26-2007, 01:13 AM.

Comment

Front's are easy. GS450, 550, 750, 1000 with disk brakes are the same. GT500 and GT750 should work as well. Rears are harder. 77, 78, 79 GS750, 78, 79 GS1000.
                      Be aware, GS750 and GS1000 use a larger rear axle. I'm pretty sure you will have to use the bearings and spacers from a 550/650 on your project.
                      Thanks...You've been a great help. At least that broadens my options a bit.

Comment

Thanks...You've been a great help. At least that broadens my options a bit.
                        To give you an Idea as to the the intermixing of parts, this is my 78 GS1000C. It has a 18" 1980 GS550 rear rim, a '79 GS850 front rim, a 1982 GS1100 swingarm and an aftermarket exhaust from a GS850. It all bolts on.

Comment

To give you an Idea as to the the intermixing of parts, this is my 78 GS1000C. It has a 18" 1980 GS550 rear rim, a '79 GS850 front rim, a 1982 GS1100 swingarm and an aftermarket exhaust from a GS850. It all bolts on.

Man, I'm gonna love working on these bikes...I've been working with Honda CBs for way too long.

Comment

Man, I'm gonna love working on these bikes...I've been working with Honda CBs for way too long.
                            My 1980 GS550. Forks and calipers are from a 1981 GS650E, wheels and rotors are from a 78 GS1000, master cylinder is off a 94 Katana.

Comment

Man 8track i cant get over how sharp those are...Nice work man! I need to find a swingarm for my 750...a box swingarm like on you 1000 what will work with it?

Comment

Working...
                              X