Petcock position for tank removal help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Petcock position for tank removal help

Taking my carbs of to clean and am unsure what position the petcock needs to be in to remove the tank.

It has three positions res @ 9.00 o'clock prime @ 3.00 and on at 6.00

Also do I need to loosen the airbox to aid removal and if so where is it fastened?

GS550E 1983

6'oclock, the on position. Not sure about the air box on a 550. It should tell you in the repair manual. If you don't have one, you should get one.
    1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Originally posted by barrykatona View Post
      Taking my carbs of to clean and am unsure what position the petcock needs to be in to remove the tank.

It has three positions res @ 9.00 o'clock prime @ 3.00 and on at 6.00

Also do I need to loosen the airbox to aid removal and if so where is it fastened?

GS550E 1983
      Leave it in the PRIME position...8-[ Just kidding!!! Either ON or RES will work. As far as the airbox, lossen everything that you can, it makes the process much easier (notice I said EASIER) not easy. There are several methods you can use to get things out and back in, but I've had the best luck (after everything is loose) sliding the carbs back as far as I can get them into the airbox rubber and lifting up on one corner or the other of the carb rack and wiggling them back and forth until the corner that your lifting up on, pops out of the intake rubber. More wiggling will get the rest of them out. Before you start though, remove the choke slide cable from the linkage and the throttle cable as well.

Comment

Thanks guys

Comment

Working...
        X