Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Head and base gasket question

Hey all,

I got my cylinders honed this past Tuesday, and my buddy and I ground the valves, heads and seats, milled the head, and put the head back together last night, so I am just about ready to put the bike back together (aside from a little more cleanup work). While looking at everything, I have a question about the gaskets. Do I need to put anything on the gaskets before putting the top end back together. The base gasket is a normal gasket. I wasn't sure if I need to put it on dry, or put a light coating of silicone on it. Also, the head gasket is a stamped metal gasket. My buddy thought it should be sprayed with a tack spray that they use on race engines with metal gaskets to get a good seal. Should this be done, or should it be put on dry also?

Thanks,

Brandon

Base gasket dry.
    Head gasket dry, the head gasket is usually stamped head or top.........this side faces up or towards the head.

8) Andre 8)

Comment

You better ask around about your valves. I read here that you do not grind these valves because of a heat treating or coating.

Steve

Comment

Silicone is insurance, you don't need it in most cases. If you have 3 or more parts meeting in one place that is a good place to use it. Definately don't put it on your valve cover as you'll need to take it off in 2 weeks (500 miles for first tuneup after rebuild right?)

Steve

Comment

Gaskets

If it is a 2 valve motor use a drop of glue to hold the teardrop o-rings that sit in the grooves on top of the engine cases to stop them collapesing onto them-selves. (can't remember what the 4 valve motor has) Otherwise have everything CLEAN and bonedry and just use a smear of gasket goo on the rubber o-rings, oil gallerys(the two rear/outside bolts) and the o-ring that sits between the head & barrel and . Did you remember to replace the barrel sleeve o-rings as they go hard and crack.

Comment

Be careful, if that's not a stamped COPPER gasket, you should coat it with copper gasket spray. I talked to a tech at work about my engine rebuild and he asked if it was a metal gasket, I said yes, and he said dry, but then it failed after 50 miles, and he asked if it was a COPPER gasket, I said no, and he tossed a can of copper spray at me and said, you were supposed to use this, go buy a new head gasket. so if it's silver in color, go get a can of copper gasket spray, or you're taking chances

Comment

Working...
            X