Petcock Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Petcock Question

I cant seem to find a replacement (new) petcock for my 1979 GS1000 E model, so I must use what I have and buy a rebuild kit.

I stripped down everything and removed the plastic filter screen shaft (that is inserted into the tank) and put all the metal into a chem-dip.

The plastic screen came off easily, but I can tell it was once glued. How do I replace that and what glue do I use that would work well for it? I am concerned about the gas eating away the glue over time. Would the two-part syringe type epoxies work?

Thanks!

I have never tried gluing the screen to the petcock body. Mine have always just snapped into place.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Whaddya mean, you can't find a new one?

From flatoutmotorcycles.com in under one minute:
      COCK ASSY, FUEL
      44300-44011
      $56.74

Just order a new one from your favorite Suzuki parts source (bikebandit.com and babbittsonline.com are also good.)

IMHO, it's simply not worth farting around with rebuild kits -- it's a valve that controls the flow of an extremely flammable substance five inches from your crotch, ferpetessake.
      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Definately reasoning that hits home..lol

Comment

bwringer,

Thank you for your help. A new one is on its way.

J

Comment

Originally posted by phaserburn View Post
            bwringer,

Thank you for your help. A new one is on its way.

J
            Smart move...the rebuild/fix thing is for those who have more time than money, as the kits seem to be junk. At least mine was.

Comment

Yep Dave8338, you are right. I wish I didn't, but I do have much more time than money. But anyway, I've owned at least a dozen GS's, since 1978. In that time, I've never replaced a pet cock. I've rebuilt 2, with rebuild kits, appx. 2 yr. ago, and both are still working fine. I'm thinking about trying to fit one to my KZ 1300, the electric fuel shut-off on them is a real pain in the buttom.
              1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Originally posted by rphillips View Post
                Yep Dave8338, you are right. I wish I didn't, but I do have much more time than money. But anyway, I've owned at least a dozen GS's, since 1978. In that time, I've never replaced a pet cock. I've rebuilt 2, with rebuild kits, appx. 2 yr. ago, and both are still working fine. I'm thinking about trying to fit one to my KZ 1300, the electric fuel shut-off on them is a real pain in the buttom.
                You must have the knack for it, as mine seemed to go together without a hitch but when it came time to test it, well lets just say, Niagra Falls had nothing on this thing (when I could get the lever to move at all). The oring was too large to fit snug among other things. It does make a nice paper weight in the shop though.

Comment

Originally posted by rphillips View Post
                  Where did you get you kits? Maybe the brand makes a difference. There's a lot of angst about rebuilding petcocks on this website, but I don't get it. They're pretty straightforward devices. I just fixed mine by replacing the broken aluminum disc that backs up the diagphram, and gluing the disk to the diagphram to patch the tiny holes in it (which were caused by sharp edges on the broken disk).

Comment

Working...
                  X